Thread: Question about bulletproof coffee page

cariboo87 is offline Junior Member

Question about bulletproof coffee

I cannot find GF butter ANYWHERE in town or the surrounding towns where I live and I really want to try the bulletproof coffee. Would gee work as good?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil works great, maybe even better, due to its high MCT content which will provide some good energy.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I love coconut oil in my coffee...I can't handle that much butter - makes me snotty!

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    i find i have to blend up my coffee to get butter to work but it is tasty.

Does coconut oil need the same faffing around?
    I generally use cream but sometimes i don't want to have cream sitting around going off in case i fancy coffee

You do need to blend it Greenbeast, to stop there being a yucky film of oil on the top - but not so much. I've got one of those wee battery operated frothers and it works fine.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Ghee and clarified butter (the two are slightly different) are actually better than butter because milk solids are removed. Isn't it the milk proteins that tends to plug up sinuses, not the pure fat? Maybe ghee or clarified butter will cut down on the snot.

Doesn't have to be coffee. Bulletproof works for tea and hot cocoa too.

Watch out on the coconut oil! CO gives a lot of people the runs even in small amounts. 2 tablespoons+ of CO is too much for anyone IMO, plus it would have too much coconut taste.

Hint for cream: Freeze cream or half&half in ice cube trays. Drop one or two cubes into coffee/tea when you need it. That way it won't go bad so you don't have to think about using it up fast. My only problem is that the frozen cream sticks to plastic so it's hard to crack out of the tray. Maybe those new flexible silicone ice cube trays would work better.
    Last edited by oxide; 12-13-2012 at 07:00 AM.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    You do need to blend it Greenbeast, to stop there being a yucky film of oil on the top - but not so much. I've got one of those wee battery operated frothers and it works fine.
    Great thanks, i might get a frother at some point, didn't want to chance it if it didn't do the job

Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Ghee and clarified butter (the two are slightly different) are actually better than butter because milk solids are removed. Isn't it the milk proteins that tends to plug up sinuses, not the pure fat? Maybe ghee or clarified butter will cut down on the snot.

Doesn't have to be coffee. Bulletproof works for tea and hot cocoa too.

Watch out on the coconut oil! CO gives a lot of people the runs even in small amounts. 2 tablespoons+ of CO is too much for anyone IMO, plus it would have too much coconut taste.

Hint for cream: Freeze cream or half&half in ice cube trays. Drop one or two cubes into coffee/tea when you need it. That way it won't go bad so you don't have to think about using it up fast. My only problem is that the frozen cream sticks to plastic so it's hard to crack out of the tray. Maybe those new flexible silicone ice cube trays would work better.
    hmm, good idea on the frozen cream cubes

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Unfortunately it seems to have the same effect. I can handle a small amount of butter or ghee on my veggies but any more and the snot-monster appears

It's not really a huge big deal for me though, as I drink my coffee black anyway and prefer it with the coconut oil.