Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladies- 5x5 StrongLifts? page

Ally415 is offline Senior Member

Ladies- 5x5 StrongLifts?

Primal Fuel
    what is the difference between this thread and the "fitness" thread?

Who of the females have experience with 5x5 here?
    I'm 22 years old, and have been doing 5x5 for a little less than half a year now. I've seen better body comp, but my progress has been veryy slooww.

I can't seem to add 5 pounds to each lift! That's so much each week! Isn't it?

I've read of many comments saying that 5x5 felt very taxing to some of the females doing it. They switched over to 5/3/1 which I'm thinking of starting.

Could anyone share their experience with 5x5?
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Sure thing. I am also in the early twenties and have been doing cardio/sprint-based sports since I started college. I started off with 5x5 Stronglifts and was doing part of the workouts wrong with the form. While the pictures and tips on the website were useful, I did not get a great handle on everything until I read Starting Strength. I changed my workout to a 3x5, and I saw better form and weight improvements. My stats went something like this:

Stronglifts:

Began at body weight 160lbs
    Squat: 85x1x5 (terrible form - probably didn't even get to parallel legs)
    Bench: 65x1x5
    OHP: 45x1x5
    Deadlift: 95x1x5

Ended in 3 months, body weight around 165 lbs
    Squat: 185x1x5 (terrible form - probably didn't even get to parallel legs)
    Bench: 105x1x5
    OHP: 75x1x5
    Deadlift: 215x1x1

Began Starting Strength for 8 months, and these are now my stats:
    150-155lbs body weight
    Squats: 170x1x5 (ass to grass)
    Bench: 100x1x5
    OHP: 75x1x5
    Deadlift: 265x1x1

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I believe I offered my comments in the other thread. Please, let me know if you want any more information/experience sharing.

I am 37, and my PBs for 1 rep at 120-130 lbs weight range were:

SQT: 155 lbs (current ~ 145 lbs)
    DL: 205 lbs (wrong form) currently 165 lbs x3 with what supposedly is a correct form according to my PT
    OHP: 68 lbs
    PP: 75 lbs
    BBR: ~ 105 lbs but again, now since the PT corrected my form, it is 3x95 lbs
    BP: 92 lbs (awful form, though, still hoping for 95 lbs real soon)
    Last edited by Leida; 12-21-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Although I also do want to mention, now that you've entered the thread, Leida, that it also depends on how much you're eating in terms of strength gain. I'm usually eating at maintenance (or slightly below maintenance) at an average calorie intake of 2500-3000/day, while Leida is eating below maintenance, and she is constantly hungry, which probably takes a little away from strength gains. This isn't a negative towards you, Leida, but I just wanted to point out that food intake makes a difference too.

I experimented with different food intakes, below, at and above maintenance. There was a slight strength increase at above maintenance caloric intake (~ 2000-2200 range), but I gained 75% of fat, and 25% muscle and then I stalled on the lifts after about 10 weeks of gains (gained about 12 lbs total, and improved lifts a wee bit).

Interestingly, all my PBs were achieved on Madcow going on maintenance calories - at about 1600-1800 range with a stable weight. Madcow is the best protocol I tried, but I crashed like a broken doll after 3 weeks on it, right after all the wonderful gains, and had gym aversion for the first time ever.

Below maintenance lifting is hard, and I normally did only one lifting session a week with 2 depletion and one more power lifting when calories overall come up to below maintenance (1200-1500 range on average). At those times, my lifts stayed the same, due to the feeding schedule being really crazy, but optimal. In about 4 weeks of that I would start losing muscle mass - so bm became counterproductive to goals.

I am working maintenance right now, max/failure. I will probably do an AM stretch with this program once I get back from my vacations. I am thinking about ~ 2000 calories a day intake with ~ 200 g protein. I have not decided yet if I do that, or Madcow on AM.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-21-2012 at 12:36 PM.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    What is your goal with lifting? Pure strength? Recomp?

Personally, I found 5x5 too taxing. It was too many reps at too heavy a weight. My joints didn't like it. I wasn't getting the results I wanted either - which was recomp. I found lifting in the 8-10 rep range much more conducive for recomp.

How many sets do you do with 8-10 reps, NDF?

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    How many sets do you do with 8-10 reps, NDF?
    3-4

Leida, have you considered that you eat too much protein? (counterintuitive, I know!) I actually dialed back my protein intake, and not only did my overall calories reduce naturally, but my strength gains in the gym began to rebound upward.

I also want to point out overtraining as a possible culprit. I think science is somewhat bunk sometimes when you calculate how fast your gains *should* be, since there's always some variable in everyone that unexplainably causes skews in data and your own n=1.

When I started Stronglifts 5x5, I was doing it 3x/week, plus 20-60 minutes of hard cardio almost every day in between. Right now I'm doing Starting Strength 3x5 2x/week, and sometimes a sprint session/week. It might just be tweaking, but everybody has different needs of rest before more growth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast