Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stress from Family? page 2

Karyn is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    I try and not discuss my food choices with people who feel they must object to the way I eat. Your parents may never be happy with the choice you have made because they are so programmed to beleive that SAD is best.
    I try and keep it simple for people and explain I just eat fruit, veggies and meat. It is hard to take issue with that. I don't go into length about the ins and outs of primal unless they are interested.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    I don't have stress because of the way I eat. I do however deal with a very hostile family on a daily basis. I'm talking, I get screamed and cussed out multiple times a day for things I had nothing to do with. One time I agreed with something my brother said and he came at me like a bull spittle flying every which way as he screamed at me, that ended with me Darth Vadering him until he was just about to pass out, which got him to shove me into my mom's 4 post bed, snapping an oak post off from shoving me so hard, which finally ended with me handing himt he post and screaming and drill-instructor shotuing a string of insults about his manhood at him telling him to be a man and club me with the post so I could defend myself and put his sorry arse out of it's miserable existence.

This is fairly routine kind of thigns at home, I've been forked by my mom before for helping her, because I wasn't helping her fast enough etc. I had to live with them (brother is 40, mother is 60 in a week) last year because I was going through bankruptcy, then health issues happened to my mom that still require me to live with her to help her out.

The way I deal with it, I ignore it, I flat out ignore them when they get irrational. The longer they go on I just start breathing deep and go about my business zoning them out. That's why I love going to the gym every day and walking, just walking, for an hour on the treadmill. It's me time, it's peaceful time. I put my hoodie over the TV screen on the treadmill, I put my headphones in and either listen to music or an audible book and just let my eyes unfocus and before I know it my hour is up and I feel great.

I suppose you could take a similar approach, tell them you love them and respect their opinions but this is something you want to try and if it ever clearly becomes a medical issue you will gladly stop and listen to their ideas. If that doesn't work, ignore them.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    do they have any specific complaints other than it being extreme or crazy?

i'm guessing they won't read up on it at all, and even if they did they likely would disagree with everything just out of spite. my family watched me lose a ton of weight originally with calorie restriction and a stupid amount of exercise. once i went primal and started feeling better, i wanted to help them know a little more about it, so i made some primal meals. once they saw and tasted what i was eating, they realized that it was good, whole foods and nothing extreme.

...however, i was out with my parents and a visiting relative just recently and my mom still explains the way i eat and exercise as extreme. i know she doesn't really think that, but she explains it that way for two reasons (as far as i can tell):
    1. it's easier and faster than explaining it, which also feeds into her over dramatizing things
    2. when people call primal/paleo extreme, it's almost like it's their way of saying "i would never do that," which should be interpreted as "i will never do that," which really means "i would rather get healthy by drinking diet coke with my meal, and eating a blueberry muffin because dr. oz says blueberries are good for me."

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    how old is the OP?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Ellie_Miller is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOhJay View Post
    Well to be honest I wasn't planning on losing weight or anything. I'm around 5' 8" so that's a pretty good weight range for my height. I feel great on the paleo diet.... And i don't want to go back
    Have you mentioned how great you feel to them because of this change?

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I find that the secret to conflicts like that is to agree with them.

Agree that extreme diets are dangerous. That's why you are planning on eating whole foods.
    LOVE THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    I don't have stress because of the way I eat. I do however deal with a very hostile family on a daily basis. I'm talking, I get screamed and cussed out multiple times a day for things I had nothing to do with. One time I agreed with something my brother said and he came at me like a bull spittle flying every which way as he screamed at me, that ended with me Darth Vadering him until he was just about to pass out, which got him to shove me into my mom's 4 post bed, snapping an oak post off from shoving me so hard, which finally ended with me handing himt he post and screaming and drill-instructor shotuing a string of insults about his manhood at him telling him to be a man and club me with the post so I could defend myself and put his sorry arse out of it's miserable existence.

This is fairly routine kind of thigns at home, I've been forked by my mom before for helping her, because I wasn't helping her fast enough etc. I had to live with them (brother is 40, mother is 60 in a week) last year because I was going through bankruptcy, then health issues happened to my mom that still require me to live with her to help her out.

The way I deal with it, I ignore it, I flat out ignore them when they get irrational. The longer they go on I just start breathing deep and go about my business zoning them out. That's why I love going to the gym every day and walking, just walking, for an hour on the treadmill. It's me time, it's peaceful time. I put my hoodie over the TV screen on the treadmill, I put my headphones in and either listen to music or an audible book and just let my eyes unfocus and before I know it my hour is up and I feel great.

I suppose you could take a similar approach, tell them you love them and respect their opinions but this is something you want to try and if it ever clearly becomes a medical issue you will gladly stop and listen to their ideas. If that doesn't work, ignore them.
    oh WOW!!!! I thought I had it bad. I'm in my thirties and moved back with my parents (rough time). It's pretty tough at times because I live in a hostile environment but NOTHING like yours. I just try to keep my distance too. Good job on finding something that makes you feel good. I bow down to you.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie_Miller View Post
    oh WOW!!!! I thought I had it bad. I'm in my thirties and moved back with my parents (rough time). It's pretty tough at times because I live in a hostile environment but NOTHING like yours. I just try to keep my distance too. Good job on finding something that makes you feel good. I bow down to you.
    Gotta survive somehow, that hour on the treadmill just walking (I try to get 10k steps in a day, working in an office that means an hour on a treadmill aday to make up 60-70% of the steps) is so peaceful. I just completely check out and feel like a million bucks when I'm done.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    Gotta survive somehow, that hour on the treadmill just walking (I try to get 10k steps in a day, working in an office that means an hour on a treadmill aday to make up 60-70% of the steps) is so peaceful. I just completely check out and feel like a million bucks when I'm done.
    +1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12