Thread: Russia Announces Barriers on Imports of U.S. Meat page

Grok is offline Senior Member

Russia Announces Barriers on Imports of U.S. Meat

The government must think that feeding animals drugs to reduce their fat content is worth the risk.

On December 7, 2012 Russia’s Federal Agency for Agricultural Control, Rosselhohznadzor, banned the imports of meat containing ractopamine. This is a food additive that allows to reduce the content of fat in beef and pork. The drug is added to food so that animals grow the muscle mass instead of fat. According to researchers, ractopamine affects the human cardiovascular system, and in some cases can cause food poisoning. This drug is banned for use in 160 countries, including China and Russia. It is allowed in 24 countries, including Canada and the United States. Codex Alimentarius of the World Health Organization, adopted in July 2012 in Rome by representatives of 186 countries, allows the contents of ractopamine in meat.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/wo...meat.html?_r=0

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Is THAT why my meat has been disgustingly fatless lately!?!? FUCK THEM! FUCK THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, this thread is not getting enough views. I used the title of the NYT article which was meant to keep people from actually reading it.

I should have called this thread "Russia bans ractopamine doped meat from US" or something like that.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Wow. That is really sad considering even China and Russia have completely banned it. Even more reason to buy organic now. So scary!

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Wow.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Stupid that the NY Times article keeps on insisting that this is "political."

Maybe, you know, it does make sense to not want people to eat untested chemicals?