Thread: Holiday Concerns page

aeriel is offline Junior Member

Holiday Concerns

Shop Now
    Hello!
    I am new to the Primal lifestyle and am concerned about eating my holiday favorites. My family has a danish dish every year similar to pancakes and makes sugar cookies. I am going to eat it and am not looking for primal alternatives with this once a year 'feast' but I have only been eating primally for 15 days. I have experienced the low carb flu and it has been some what challenging to give up desserts. My question is, if I indulge over the holidays will I have to start my progress and 'withdrawal' all over again? I don't want to waste all of the hard work and progress I've made, but I also don't want to feel frustrated and deprived on Christmas. Thanks!

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I took a break this summer and found that restarting was easier - no carb flu symptoms. It was a bit tough to get back into the right mindset, though - I really had to purge the kitchen of all the "slippery slope" items, e.g. dark chocolate. I decided to take a break this holiday season, as well. Nothing out of control, but if something is homemade and looks worthwhile despite being non-primal, I'm eating it. Then it's back to the grind after New Year's!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It depends on what you mean by indulging.

We just had our work christmas party, and I kid you not, the appertiser options were meat, bread and doughnuts as dessert. So I ate a whole lote of meat, and 'cheated' with some breaded fish.

Little stuff isn't going to kill you, particularly for a short time. (disclaimer: as long as you aren't sensitive to the 'bad' foods you take in, in which case, stop doing that).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

aeriel is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the help! Does moderation matter at all or does your body react the same to any amount of sugar in your system? For example, will it help if I just have half a cookie or does the amount of non-primal food matter?

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Half a cookie won't hurt you, unless it starts some terrible downward spiral into the pits of SAD hell, like it does for a lot of people. If you can have half a cookie and leave it at that, I say don't worry about it. Just savor it.