Thread: Halitosis page

Lisa Smith is offline Junior Member

Question Halitosis

Shop Now
    Well, I brush, floss, rinse and even water pik but I'm being told I have bad breath. I don't even consider myself a true blue primal bease yet. I've been transitioning into the primal lifestyle gradually since the end of October(maybe 75/25 at this point) but plan to take the 21 day challenge and really get serious after the first of the year. I haven't eaten any bread, biscuits, muffins, buns etc. but have had thin pizza crust and the occasional cracker or two or three. Almost no legumes either, but there has been the rare dessert for holiday gatherings so my question is, is this enough of a carb reduction to start seeing ketosis. I have lost a few pounds and I hope I'm burning fat already so I hope that explains the bad breath but just not sure so early on. In the hopes that is it, does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the breath problems?

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Bad breath is more a sign of being sick than low carb isn't it?

Or are you talking about keto breath?

Have a bigger breakfast?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Do you ever find that you regurgitate food? Sometimes, people have a little outpouching (diverticulum) in their esophagus and food gets stuck there, sometimes for days, decomposing and resulting in bad breath.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Are you brushing your tongue as well?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

I've actually been kind of wondering about this myself. I haven't been *accused* of having bad breath, but every time a co-worker passes around a pack of gum or something, I'm reminded of the sage wisdom - "If someone offers you a breath-mint, take it." But what's a primal girl to do? Carry mint leaves around in a little baggie in her purse? Actually...that's not an entirely unviable option. Ooooh, I'll bet if you froze them, they'd be delightful!

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Often bad breath can be a sign of anxiety. When some people are anxious they swallow air, which then causes belching, which then causes bad breath. And you may not realise that you are belching, it could be in your sleep ?
    Do you sleep with your mouth open ?? this can cause a dry mouth, which sometimes equates into a bad breath.
    However if you are not the anxious type, it could be a sign of being unwell as MM suggested,
    Have you been to the dentist lately? You might have a small abscess that you are unaware of creating said odour?
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....