Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: I ate WHAT? page

  1. #1
    Earthy Mama's Avatar
    Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    220

    I ate WHAT? *update original OP*

    Primal Fuel
    Ok, I'm a bit confused on a few things.

    1.) Can you eat as much fat/protein you want in the beginning? Today's my first day, I'm not eating often, but dear lawdy these calories are adding up quickly..
    2.) I've eaten 2220 so far (bfast at 10:30 and again at 3:30), I'm sure to get hungry before I go to bed, which is going to make those cals skyrocket. I'm just not comprehending how this is ok. I'm still researching the paleo/primal diet but I thought I had it "down" enough to understand to eat as much fat/protein (if you felt hungry) and keep carbs on the lower end for weightloss.

    I'm 5ft tall, 155lbs, body fat at 30.3%

    I'm sure I'm missing something here...

    Also, since I tracked my food today, I really noticed how much sugar I drink in my coffee... that's my one bad thing, but obviously that's gotta go. And, I drink a lot of coffee too, with a lot of butter lol.

    Help me out here, show me the light! lol - Thanks

    EDIT, this is my ratio so far today:
    Protein 134g
    Fat 150g
    Carbs 86g

    EDIT
    Went through and adjusted what my cals would have been if I took out:

    3 tbsp butter
    4 tbsp sugar
    1 tbsp sour cream
    changed to 1oz from 2oz sunflower seeds
    3oz pork skin

    and I get:

    Calories 1040
    Protein: 74
    Fat: 72
    Carbs: 22

    Which is MUCH better and clearly leaves room for more healthy protein/fat. Tomorrow is another day, with better decisions to be made
    Last edited by Earthy Mama; 12-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.
    Earthy Mama's Journal
    First Primal Pregnancy


    9+lbs lost this preg and good body changes from walking each day and eating healthy

    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

  2. #2
    Kata's Avatar
    Kata is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    307
    That must have been a massive breakfast! What did you eat?

  3. #3
    RitaRose's Avatar
    RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    3,952
    Where are all of your carbs coming from? Avoid the sugar completely, and if you're trying to lose weight, you might want to keep your carbs under 50g. Your mileage may vary.

    Okay, so the whole point of playing fast and lose with the fat is that 1)it's good for you, assuming it's coming from quality sources and 2)it fills you up and keeps you from getting hungry.

    I'm not saying 2200 calories is too much for you, but if you're trying to lose weight and you're not fairly active it might be. It's hard to say. What I would do is try eating slower and without distractions to make sure you're eating because you're still hungry and not just because you're not full yet. That's something many of us have had to relearn.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

  4. #4
    Earthy Mama's Avatar
    Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    That must have been a massive breakfast! What did you eat?
    It's all detailed in my journal, link in siggie. Was quite delicious LOL!

    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Where are all of your carbs coming from? Avoid the sugar completely, and if you're trying to lose weight, you might want to keep your carbs under 50g. Your mileage may vary.

    Okay, so the whole point of playing fast and lose with the fat is that 1)it's good for you, assuming it's coming from quality sources and 2)it fills you up and keeps you from getting hungry.

    I'm not saying 2200 calories is too much for you, but if you're trying to lose weight and you're not fairly active it might be. It's hard to say. What I would do is try eating slower and without distractions to make sure you're eating because you're still hungry and not just because you're not full yet. That's something many of us have had to relearn.
    The sugar is going, I know that... Didn't realize I used that much. My carbs would be 46g today if it weren't for sugar. BAD.

    I'm a woofer when it comes to food, on noes, I'll need to eat slower that's for sure LOL!

    I'm going to work on drinking just black coffee and water until noonish and then eat lunch, that way I'll have a mid day snack and then dinner, and then go to bed at a reasonable time. Right now I stay up until midnight b/c that's when hubby gets home, I just like to make sure he's home safe

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Earthy Mama; 12-12-2012 at 06:29 PM.
    Earthy Mama's Journal
    First Primal Pregnancy


    9+lbs lost this preg and good body changes from walking each day and eating healthy

    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

  5. #5
    Lizzielou's Avatar
    Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brunei
    Posts
    650
    You'll probably find that for the first few weeks you get really hungry while your body adjusts. Just go with the flow for this first while, then look at reducing your calories after you begin to feel a bit more stable. It was months and months before I lost any weight eating primal, but I did't gain during that time either.

    I also couldn't IF up until recently, but my body let me know when I was ready to challenge myself.

  6. #6
    Sandra in BC's Avatar
    Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthy Mama View Post
    Ok, I'm a bit confused on a few things.

    1.) Can you eat as much fat/protein you want in the beginning? Today's my first day, I'm not eating often, but dear lawdy these calories are adding up quickly..
    You can't eat as much food as you WANT....but when you're hungry, you can eat as much primal food as you NEED to be no longer hungry and filled to satisfaction. Food we eat when we're not hungry, and beyond full, is food our bodies didn't ask for.

    I find that I eat far more in one sitting now, but much less often. No snacking!

    I'd also like to add...when you're starting out, take some time to get used to this way of eating, and really pay attention to how your body feels when you eat real food. Don't worry about counting calories or macros. Just eat real food for a couple of months, then start tweaking if you're not getting the results you're looking for.
    Last edited by Sandra in BC; 12-12-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

    There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

    DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

  7. #7
    Earthy Mama's Avatar
    Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    You'll probably find that for the first few weeks you get really hungry while your body adjusts. Just go with the flow for this first while, then look at reducing your calories after you begin to feel a bit more stable. It was months and months before I lost any weight eating primal, but I did't gain during that time either.

    I also couldn't IF up until recently, but my body let me know when I was ready to challenge myself.
    Thank you, I was wondering if it was something like that. Explained more under the quote below...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    You can't eat as much food as you WANT....but when you're hungry, you can eat as much primal food as you NEED to be no longer hungry and filled to satisfaction. Food we eat when we're not hungry, and beyond full, is food our bodies didn't ask for.

    I find that I eat far more in one sitting now, but much less often. No snacking!

    I'd also like to add...when you're starting out, take some time to get used to this way of eating, and really pay attention to how your body feels when you eat real food. Don't worry about counting calories or macros. Just eat real food for a couple of months, then start tweaking if you're not getting the results you're looking for.
    It may be a combination of the above quote and what you're saying here. When eating SAD, I seriously would eat every 3hrs and have lots of snacks. Today I ate way less often. The portion sizes really were not out of control either. I mean, the food I ate for lunch and early dinner probably only took up half a plate. And I only snacked twice today, once before the early dinner and then after lunch I had a couple pieces of cantaloupe because my daughter wanted me to cut some up for her.

    This is only day one, so obviously there are going to be some eating/body changes that I need to learn with eating this way.

    Thank you for your advice!
    Earthy Mama's Journal
    First Primal Pregnancy


    9+lbs lost this preg and good body changes from walking each day and eating healthy

    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

  8. #8
    ecole66's Avatar
    ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    104
    Dump the Bulletproof Coffee at least until you are adapted(3-6 months). The 2 coffee's probably account for almost half of your calories.

  9. #9
    Earthy Mama's Avatar
    Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    220
    Went through and adjusted what my cals would have been if I took out:

    3 tbsp butter
    4 tbsp sugar
    1 tbsp sour cream
    changed to 1oz from 2oz sunflower seeds
    3oz pork skin

    and I get:

    Calories 1040
    Protein: 74
    Fat: 72
    Carbs: 22

    Which is MUCH better and clearly leaves room for more healthy protein/fat. I see a lot of folks eat pork skins for a snack, but goodness those add up quickly! I had maybe 8-10 pieces and it added up to 460 calories?! lordy....
    Earthy Mama's Journal
    First Primal Pregnancy


    9+lbs lost this preg and good body changes from walking each day and eating healthy

    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

  10. #10
    Kata's Avatar
    Kata is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by ecole66 View Post
    Dump the Bulletproof Coffee at least until you are adapted(3-6 months). The 2 coffee's probably account for almost half of your calories.
    I second this. The Slim Jim's need to go, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •