Thread: Probably know the answer already, but looking for thoughts/reassurance. page

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member

Probably know the answer already, but looking for thoughts/reassurance.

Primal Fuel
    So, this semester, I've been horrible. At like crap, drank tons of soda, etc. Extremely sedentary, only "exercise" I've done was walking to and from the bus stop and and walking around school. Gained a lot of weight.

The day after Thanksgiving, started eating better. Aside from a couple cheats, a couple cookies my friend made me for my birthday, some chocolate mousse when I was out to dinner with my parents, been very good. Kept my carbs around or below 50 grams a day (highest was like 63) and kept my calories around or slightly below maintenance. Between Thanksgiving and this last Sunday, lost just under 20 pounds. But I didn't exercise at all, still sedentary.

Then, on Monday, I started walking to school. With finals next week and three papers to write, I don't really want to do more than walking til after then. Three miles each day, half of that uphill. Also walked to and from the store on Monday. Walked maybe nine miles since Monday morning. Got on the scale this morning, after using the restroom, for the hell of it and I gained over two pounds back.

...I know not to weigh yourself TOO often because weight fluctuates, but it still really bothered me. My thighs are firmer than they were a couple days ago, and my ass cheeks are still sore...I know that normally walking doesn't really yield muscle gain, but since I'm going from almost completely sedentary to walking nine miles in two days (three of them uphill), could I be putting on some muscle on my legs and butt?

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    When you go very low carb (around 50g a day like you did) you lose a bunch of water weight at first. It's really easy to gain it back. You didn't gain muscle in two days. If you're under 80, which I assume you are, you shouldn't get sore from walking an hour daily. See it as a wake-up signal, because it means you're really really out of shape.

Being healthy takes time. People always expect to see a miracle happen when they make an effort for two weeks when they've been abusing their body for months and even years. Take a picture of yourself in a bathing suit and weigh yourself now, then eat well and exercise well for two years, stop cheating and making excuses, then take a picture and weigh yourself again. I guarantee you'll see results you like.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Moose View Post
    I gained over two pounds back.

My thighs are firmer than they were a couple days ago
    i think you have your answer right there. at the very least, you know that the weight isn't coming from fat.

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    Being healthy takes time. People always expect to see a miracle happen when they make an effort for two weeks when they've been abusing their body for months and even years. Take a picture of yourself in a bathing suit and weigh yourself now, then eat well and exercise well for two years, stop cheating and making excuses, then take a picture and weigh yourself again. I guarantee you'll see results you like.
    Oh, I know all that. I've gone through all this before, but last time I did it, it was with lots of lifting and almost not conditioning or anything, especially no extensive walking.

I just included the background info for the hell of it and to see where I was coming from....mainly I was just wondering if a all that walking, especially with the hills, can actually add significant muscle to the body of a person who was very sedentary until very recently?

In the past I woulda said no myself because...it's only walking..but with the soreness in my glutes.... It's obviously not squats or deads...but it does have me wondering if I was selling walking short.
    Last edited by Primal Moose; 12-12-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Intense hill walking up the hill will work glutes. There is actually a treadmill Superstar Bootie Routine, that consists of increasing the incline of your treadmill every minute from 1 to 15 degrees, than walking 15 min at 15 degrees incline, and then climbing down for 15 min. I did it before and I swear by it. While I do not think you actually gained muscle in this time frame, what most likely happened is that you worked your muscle heavily and they retained water adding weight. Hence the firmness (pump) and the soreness. because you are low carbing, soreness is exaggerated. Keep going, and if I may recommend anything, it's a good stretch to your hams and glutes.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Anything can build muscle if you're starting from a more sedentary point but that'll change very quickly as you become more active. And my advice, where at all possible, is to not be the person who builds muscle from walking. It just means that you're very inactive.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I got my massive thighs and rippled calves from both urban and nature hiking. I used to hike 5 miles in town every day back when I had an evening job. My urban hike included a very steep hill. I managed to lose a lot of weight hiking every day a long time ago.

I'm not 80 years old. I hike and walk and lift heavy weights. Just last Saturday I hiked 16 miles in one day. It is now the Thursday after my hike and I'm still sore. There was 3000 feet of elevation gain so that might explain it. Walking is good exercise and it will take you far (literally and figuratively). You still have to watch your intake, though.

I wouldn't worry too much about your weight fluctuations. You should take measurements instead. They are more accurate. You shouldn't weigh or measure daily though. Weekly is plenty. Look for trends, not daily changes.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hiking or walking hills vs. walking around the block are two very different things. The former can actually add some appreciable muscle. You will likely hit a plateau with it, but its better than driving .