Thread: probiotics..need gut help.. page

probiotics..need gut help..

Primal Fuel
    I am sugar,wheat,& soy free but still get bloated really bad after I eat,even if its a small meal or snack. I do IF and have 2 meals a day,if not just one. I want to start a probiotic but I don't know which brand to go for...anyone have any luck with one or any other option? Thanks

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Don't spend tons of money on probiotics in my opinion. Just invest in some good fermented foods such as veggies and make them a regular part of your diet. I can tell the difference since I started eating more fermented foods in the quality of my gut health.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Don't spend tons of money on probiotics in my opinion. Just invest in some good fermented foods such as veggies and make them a regular part of your diet. I can tell the difference since I started eating more fermented foods in the quality of my gut health.
    Beat me to it Drumroll. Also I think the probiotics are better absorbed by the digestive system when they come packaged as a food as opposed to a pill or powder.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Beat me to it Drumroll. Also I think the probiotics are better absorbed by the digestive system when they come packaged as a food as opposed to a pill or powder.
    There is some question as to whether direct contact of the good bacterias with the stomach acid directly (as in, no pill covering) decreases absorption of the probiotic compounds. But, I find from my own experiment with fermented foods, that this effect is minimal if anything, and I still absorb the majority of the beneficial stuff.

My gut has never been happier at least!

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    I'd say go with Marks gut flora. You can also try some digestive enzymes to see if that makes a difference.

fresa is offline Member
    I drink Kefir every now and then (maybe once a week) for my probiotics, and I know that really makes me feel better. If you do dairy occasionally, I suggest that. I don't know what everyone else uses, but I drink a whole milk plain kefir that Lifeway makes. It's the only brand around here, and it seems to work so I haven't changed. They also make low and non-fat versions that are almost completely lactose free, but I don't know much about them. As far as I know mine's primal though! I usually mix it with fruit to make it more palatable, which is why I don't eat it daily.

I do agree with the eat it rather that take it is a pill sentiment. I personally would rather eat it anyway, but I do think it's easier on the body in food form.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating a lot of foods high in insoluble fiber (veggies)? I have a long history of IBS, and this was one of the contributing problems. Since our bodies don't produce cellulase, the enzyme that digests cellulose (the insoluble fiber found in the peels and seeds of most veggies and fruit), this fiber must be fermented in the guts...for some people this creates a lot of gas, pain, bloating, a nasty scene.

I found that healing my IBS required several steps:
    1) Good quality probiotics (both in supplement form and from food. If you eat dairy, yogurt and kefir would be great. Since I don't eat dairy and the fiber in sauerkraut bothered me, I found good quality probiotics to be very helpful. Look for ones that have the greatest variety of different strains and are enteric coated.)
    2) Low fiber diet-which meant no raw veggies like salads, significantly reduced amount of veggies, and only eat ones that can be peeled and low in fiber.
    3) Bone broth and supplementing with L-Glutamine
    4) Eating smaller meals

Just keep in mind that IBS can take a long time to heal (it took me several months, for example), so don't give up. But if you don't improve at all after several months, you may also want to look into some gut dysbiosis issues, like SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth)

Good luck!
    Last edited by BestBetter; 12-12-2012 at 07:29 PM.

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    A Big Ass Salad may be great for you, but if you are eating a bunch of the cole family (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage) raw, that may be part of your issues. If you are not already cooking your veges, try doing so and see if that makes a difference. Load up with butter too.