Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not sore after workout? page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

not sore after workout?

Hey everyone,

I've been doing bodyweight workouts for the past month or so and I barely feel sore at all after workouts. I'm tired, of course, but I don't feel sore. Should I be feeling sore?

Also, I FEEL stronger but I don't necessarily LOOK stronger. Does this mean anything?

I've been doing HIIT (60 seconds of work, 15 seconds rest) for two rounds, ten exercises each.

Thanks!
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    you don't need to feel sore. if you feel and look stronger, you probably are. putting stress on your muscles will make them stronger as they recover, but that doesn't mean they are going to hurt.

but, adding a little variety to your workouts might cause some soreness, and can definitely make the workouts more effective. that might be something to try.

and, if you want to be sore, for some reason, go plyometric or slow cadence for a day...you'll feel that for a couple of days for sure.

Koobs is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I've been doing bodyweight workouts for the past month or so and I barely feel sore at all after workouts. I'm tired, of course, but I don't feel sore. Should I be feeling sore?

Also, I FEEL stronger but I don't necessarily LOOK stronger. Does this mean anything?

I've been doing HIIT (60 seconds of work, 15 seconds rest) for two rounds, ten exercises each.

Thanks!
    If you want to look stronger (gain muscle?) you need to lift heavier loads. And eat lots of protein.

i'm doing a variety of exercises though; i'm switching it up every workout. I never do the same two workouts in a week.

if I don't have enough protein, I just won't gain as much muscle, right? how do I know what's enough protein?

Koobs is offline Member
    I don't think there is such thing as enough protein. A good guideline is 1 gram per 1lb of lean body weight. If you are really looking to gain though, I'd eat a little more.

Variety is nice and all, but you need to force your body to adapt if you want it to grow. It seems to me that your body is now strong enough to handle all the body weight workouts you put it through, so it has no reason to add more muscle. To add more muscle you must lift more weight, not the same weight more times. There really isn't any other way. Putting on muscle is hard work.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Protein is different for everyone. There are a lot of muscular people that eat low to moderate protein. If you want to make gains you will probably need to achieve soreness (not pain). Soreness is from small tears in your muscle and your body repairs them in stronger condition during downtime. If you are not feeling soreness you are probably not changing your routine up enough. If i do not rotate I don't get sore as easily. Then again I believe some people just have a hard wall of putting on muscle at different points. It is greatly genetic.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    You mentioned in the original post that you feel stronger so I am assuming that strength is your goal. Your descriptions of your workout though doesn't seem very strength orientated - if you want to build strength and muscle then you should be lifting heavier (or harder versions of bodyweight exercises) and taking more rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    You mentioned in the original post that you feel stronger so I am assuming that strength is your goal. Your descriptions of your workout though doesn't seem very strength orientated - if you want to build strength and muscle then you should be lifting heavier (or harder versions of bodyweight exercises) and taking more rest.

Yeah, it's not too strength-oriented but there are a lot of pushups/burpees involved.

The past month-two since I've been working out, I do feel stronger BUT I have not gained any weight at all! I've been stuck at 120ish for the last year or two >.<

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I think it might be time to switch to a strength programme.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    I think it might be time to switch to a strength programme.
    Epic words, even if you guys spell "program" funny on your side of the pond.

Here's a recent article by the much esteemed Mark Rippetoe that would tend to lead to the same conclusion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast