Thread: Good reading page

Chaloney is offline Member

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    That was phenomenal! Thanks.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the general premise, but many a combative sport was lost due to not having enough muscular endurance. Not something you get from jogging, but that PT with pull ups and push ups and such helps.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I agree with the general premise, but many a combative sport was lost due to not having enough muscular endurance. Not something you get from jogging, but that PT with pull ups and push ups and such helps.
    He addressed that in the article, actually, when he talks about how easy conditioning is to build (and lose). In addition, Rip very clearly states at the beginning that he is talking about NOVICES, not elite fighters or athletes.

here's a shocking statement that applies to all novice lifters, as well as the vast majority of all trainees: training specifically for conditioning without a well-developed strength base is a waste of time.
    He goes on to lay out what he thinks is a "well-developed strength base".

The point is not that conditioning doesn't matter, but that building strength is a more effective tool for building overall fitness than conditioning, until a certain level of strength is met.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    The point is not that conditioning doesn't matter, but that building strength is a more effective tool for building overall fitness than conditioning, until a certain level of strength is met.
    It's not that I disagree with what Rippetoe says, because I don't. But he is a former power lifter and a world class strength coach. Of course he finds strength training more useful than conditioning. He probably finds strength training more useful than food and sex too.