Thread: Caloric deficit = no sleep page

Comma is offline Senior Member

Caloric deficit = no sleep

Primal Fuel
    I have no problem staying under 2000 cal a day- yesterday I had about 1500 (I'm 5'8, 155 lbs, moderately active). But I CANNOT sleep when I don't stuff my face late at night. So last night I slept from 10 to 12, and then. I. was. up. At 4 am I just gave up and had coffee and breakfast. I was slightly hungry, but not starving. So what gives? ANythign I can do to lose weight nevertheless? I have little kids, so need my sleep and cannot do hardcore excercise as is already too cold outside for them (otherwise that maybe would tire me enough?). Help, please!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Try to eat your biggest meal at night, and if eating carbs, eat them as a "dessert" in this meal! So, light meals of protein and fat during daytime and a huge meal a couple of hours before bedtime finishing with some carbs will make you sleep well...

Jesster is offline Member
    If I can't sleep, a banana and a glass of milk always does the trick. (I have it just before going to bed, before brushing my teeth) Just factor it in to your daily allowance.

This sounds right. Will have to try, even though I usually need a big fat breakfast to not snack. But, yes, will def try. MAybe I will have big fat dinner now to start of right, despite already having eaten almost all my calories.

Banana and milk sounds so yummy! But cannot have either, unfortunately. :P

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Try to eat your biggest meal at night, and if eating carbs, eat them as a "dessert" in this meal! So, light meals of protein and fat during daytime and a huge meal a couple of hours before bedtime finishing with some carbs will make you sleep well...
    Agreed.

Make that "dessert" mostly starch - white rice or potatoes.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    This is precisely what I do...and after years of being an insomniac, it helps immensely! Great advice.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    My guess is that cavemen ate their biggest meals at night too, after they finished cutting up and cooking whatever they happened to kill that day. (If anything).
    If they weren't so lucky, then the fruit that they picked during the day, and/or the tubers that they dug up would be it.
    Don't think they worried about calories, or macros, in those days, you know?

duncaterro is offline Junior Member
    Try to eat your biggest meal at night

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So had no lunch, then a huge steak with veggies for dinner, and sweet potato fries for dessert. Pretty sure I would have slept like a baby (also night before no sleep at all, so was really tired) but kid was sick, so couldn't. If only I would know when they will throw up to starve myself those days! Oh well. Did again have potatoes for dessert tonight, should work (especially as now two nights deprived of sleep). Thanks for the tip!!