Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 118

Thread: Quality Carbs -- Starches and Greens

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    270

    Quality Carbs -- Starches and Greens

    I'm trying to add some more carbs into my diet. I know leafy greens are generally understood to be the best (particularly in terms of weight maintenance), but I find a half cup of winter squash really satisfies me far more than 2, even 3 cups of raw greens.

    If I'm measuring out the amount, and really stick to a 1/2 cup -- which comes to about 11 carbs -- is it an issue for me to eat winter squash every day? Does it matter whether the carbs are coming from starches or leafy greens if my carb count comes out the same?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,301
    Leafy greens are wonderful but not particularly a carb source. How low carb are you trying to go? 11 carbs are nothing.

    It is important to feel satisfied. Otherwise, you are not likely to stick with primal long term.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

    My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Leafy greens are wonderful but not particularly a carb source. How low carb are you trying to go? 11 carbs are nothing.

    It is important to feel satisfied. Otherwise, you are not likely to stick with primal long term.
    I'm aiming for between 50 and 75. I'm reluctant to add more than maybe 20 carbs from a starchy source because I hear so much around MDA about starches leading to weight gain... but I guess I'm wondering if it makes a difference whether I'm eating 60 carbs from brussels sprouts and cauliflower, or 60 carbs from a starchy squash?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Observable Universe
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    I hear so much around MDA about starches leading to weight gain...?
    When you say "weight gain" I'm assuming "fat gain", if so, then that's just ridiculous, you get fat from eating excess calories not from eating a specific macronutrient.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Leafy greens are wonderful but not particularly a carb source.
    This.

    Unless you have a medical reason to be in strict ketosis, don't count greens as carb sources. They're sources of nourishing vitamins and minerals, but they're basically useless for energy. I don't even count carrots, turnips, broccoli or brussels sprouts as carbs even though they have some starch or sugar content.

    Fruits/potatoes/sweet potatoes/parsnips/taro/cassava/jicama/plantains and added sugar sources like honey, maple syrup, molasses count for your carb sources. And obviously, any non-Primal things you may eat like wheat, corn, rice, beans, etc. If you're picking lettuce leaves out of your salad because you're afraid it'll put you over some irrelevant "carbohydrate curve" number, you're doing it wrong
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  6. #6
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    This.

    Unless you have a medical reason to be in strict ketosis, don't count greens as carb sources. They're sources of nourishing vitamins and minerals, but they're basically useless for energy. I don't even count carrots, turnips, broccoli or brussels sprouts as carbs even though they have some starch or sugar content.

    Fruits/potatoes/sweet potatoes/parsnips/taro/cassava/jicama/plantains and added sugar sources like honey, maple syrup, molasses count for your carb sources. And obviously, any non-Primal things you may eat like wheat, corn, rice, beans, etc. If you're picking lettuce leaves out of your salad because you're afraid it'll put you over some irrelevant "carbohydrate curve" number, you're doing it wrong
    Ok, so you count the carbs from a parsnip but not from a turnip? How much sense does that make?

    I agree that the OP probably doesn't need to be restricting carbs to ketosis levels. That does not mean that the ONLY people for whom ketosis is beneficial are people with serious medical conditions. Once again you are generalizing from your experience with higher carb primal and saying it is right for everyone. We don't really know what the OP's stats are other than being a student and therefore probably pretty young.

    As to the "irrelevant carb curve" comment. Could you be a little more snotty to Mark on his own site? The carb curve actually works for an awful lot of people. You are an outlier. Yay you.

    Nobody is picking lettuce leaves out of a salad. Tilting at strawmen again, I see.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Ok, so you count the carbs from a parsnip but not from a turnip? How much sense does that make?
    A lot.

    100g of raw turnips have 6g of carbohydrate with 2g of dietary fiber for a grand total of 4 net carbs. The GI is a 2.

    100g of raw parsnips have 18g of carbohydrate with 5g of dietary fiber for a grand total of 13 net carbs. The GI is 5.

    100g of raw potatoes have 17g of carbohydrate with 2g of dietary fiber for a grand total of 15 net carbs. The GI is 7.

    A parsnip is over 3 times more carbohydrate-dense than a turnip and is close to a potato, which is a significant starch. A turnip is close to a radish, which is a fibrous low-starch root.


    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Parsnips, raw
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Turnips, raw
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Potatoes, white, flesh and skin, raw [Includes USDA commodity food A215]
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    385
    Squash isn't a carb...

    Foods like potatoes, yucca, and taro are.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Squash isn't a carb...

    Foods like potatoes, yucca, and taro are.
    Actually, squash has cabs typically on par with sweet potatoes.

    Especially butternut squash.

    Dunno where you got the idea that it didn't.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Squash isn't a carb...

    Foods like potatoes, yucca, and taro are.
    Maybe you meant to say it isn't a starch?
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •