Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality Carbs -- Starches and Greens page

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member

Quality Carbs -- Starches and Greens

I'm trying to add some more carbs into my diet. I know leafy greens are generally understood to be the best (particularly in terms of weight maintenance), but I find a half cup of winter squash really satisfies me far more than 2, even 3 cups of raw greens.

If I'm measuring out the amount, and really stick to a 1/2 cup -- which comes to about 11 carbs -- is it an issue for me to eat winter squash every day? Does it matter whether the carbs are coming from starches or leafy greens if my carb count comes out the same?

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    Leafy greens are wonderful but not particularly a carb source. How low carb are you trying to go? 11 carbs are nothing.

It is important to feel satisfied. Otherwise, you are not likely to stick with primal long term.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Leafy greens are wonderful but not particularly a carb source. How low carb are you trying to go? 11 carbs are nothing.

It is important to feel satisfied. Otherwise, you are not likely to stick with primal long term.
    I'm aiming for between 50 and 75. I'm reluctant to add more than maybe 20 carbs from a starchy source because I hear so much around MDA about starches leading to weight gain... but I guess I'm wondering if it makes a difference whether I'm eating 60 carbs from brussels sprouts and cauliflower, or 60 carbs from a starchy squash?

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Squash isn't a carb...

Foods like potatoes, yucca, and taro are.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Squash isn't a carb...

Actually, squash has cabs typically on par with sweet potatoes.

Especially butternut squash.

Dunno where you got the idea that it didn't.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    I'm trying to add some more carbs into my diet. I know leafy greens are generally understood to be the best (particularly in terms of weight maintenance), but I find a half cup of winter squash really satisfies me far more than 2, even 3 cups of raw greens.
    No expert, but have some weight loss experience. I seem to do better and feel better when I added more carbs also. I try to stay under 125g or 500 carb calories while trying to lose weight. If I were highly active, I would add a few more. About half as many or less even for ketosis. Squashes are great, just keep within your limits, whatever they are. I do count all my veggies but I have read that veggies need not be counted towards carbs or calories, since they only provide enough glucose for their own digestion. So if you go by that, you would count the squash (fruit) but not the leafy greens.

edit: I think I read your original post wrong. For weight maintenance, I would stick to up to 150g or 600 carb calories. I count net carbs also, but I don't think Mark specifies. On days of more activity, you can add even more. So some days a little more, some days a little less. I can still lose weight on even higher carbs, so long as my calories are in check. But that is my n=1.
    Last edited by gopintos; 12-12-2012 at 03:17 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Squash isn't a carb...

Maybe you meant to say it isn't a starch?
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I eat a ton of more carb rich vegetables daily, and I managed to lose and maintain. Carb-rich and starchy vegetables aren't really the problem here if you're looking to lose weight, it's rather hard to eat enough to sabotage your day's worth of food.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    I hear so much around MDA about starches leading to weight gain...?
    When you say "weight gain" I'm assuming "fat gain", if so, then that's just ridiculous, you get fat from eating excess calories not from eating a specific macronutrient.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I try and eat a mix of starchy veggies and green veggies, more for the mix of nutrients. Last night I had chicken, sweet potato and asparagus.

There are a select group of people here that eat very low carb and really avoid fruits and starches because they have issues with carbs that most people are unlikely to have. But they are kind of special case people.

For me, I have found that I can eat a lot of good carbs- starches, veggies and fruits and still lose weight and feel great. I'm of the mentality that the more variety of good foods you can eat, the better. Over time, you'll get better at listening to your body (for example, if I have a more sedentary day or have a carbier breakfast, I often don't want starch at dinner and just end up with a green veggie and meat). On more active days, I tend to eat lighter, higher carb foods.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast