Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 118

Thread: Quality Carbs -- Starches and Greens page 6

  1. #51
    Artbuc's Avatar
    Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I totally agree that fat or sugar in isolation are both pretty empty calories and that the emphasis should be on whole foods. My preference is for fat over sugar however if I have some extra calories in the daily budget.
    Would you consider coconut with its MCT for quick energy and anti-microbial properties empty calories? Also, what about hard cheeses such as parmesan and Kerrygold Dubliner? I am concerned that I eat way too much coconut and cheese, but I really love them! I guess if the cheese is grass-fed it is a very good source of K2, at least.

    Edit: Mark's Definitive Guides say dairy is not pure PB but in limbo and may be ok for those who can tolerate it, especially raw and grass fed products. OTOH, Mark says coconut is an excellent PB food, if I am understanding him correctly.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 12-12-2012 at 04:25 PM.

  2. #52
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Your projection, sunshine. I'm not demonising anything. Just stating the undeniable fact that low carb is not in the 10 primal laws. So get a sense of proportion.

    I'm intolerant to tomatoes but I'm not so up my own arse that I'm urging everyone not to eat them.
    Nor was I implying that everyone needs to eat low carb like I do. To each their own! ;D

    However, lately I have noticed people implying that everyone who does eat low carb is in some way (to use your own word from earlier) "damaged." To me, this seems to be a very narrow-minded and intolerant view to hold.

    Just sayin'.

  3. #53
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Wow. So much bile and vitriol. Must be the potatoes causing it. JK!!!!!!
    Or maybe it's our devotion and sacrifices of ketones to the low carb demons.

    ROFL

  4. #54
    paleo-bunny's Avatar
    paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SW England, UK
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Nor was I implying that everyone needs to eat low carb like I do. To each their own! ;D

    However, lately I have noticed people implying that everyone who does eat low carb is in some way (to use your own word from earlier) "damaged." To me, this seems to be a very narrow-minded and intolerant view to hold.

    Just sayin'.
    You are projecting your own narrow-mindedness.

    It's a hard scientific fact that those who can't handle carbs for whatever reason are metabolically damaged. That is not narrow-minded in any way.

    As I said, if you feel so passionate about low carb diets, go post on a low-carb forum.

    Primal is not low carb. It actively avoids anal low-calorie dieting. It's about gaining strength and vitality through eating real foods, listening to your body and embracing life.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

  5. #55
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,078
    That is where the majority of SAD eating Korgs need to change their diet.
    I actually disagree. Most SAD people can easily eat and thrive on quality carbs. The would be better off with a dinner of beef, sweet potato, asparagus and a banana for dessert than the lean cuisine, pizza or happy meal they currently eat. And they would be better off with beef and spinach over that lean cuisine, pizza or happy meal, for certain... but one scenario is harder to pull off than the other. You want SAD people to start a WOE that they can sustain for their whole lives.

    For me, (and I think MOST people), eliminating most carbs is not worth the effort. That fruit and starch keeps me performing better and luckily doesn't hurt my weight loss and may actually be a better assistant to weightloss/body composition as it fuels me to work out harder.

    To each his own, but I hate reading about people struggling with VLC,ready to go back to SAD or CW because they think that if they have a banana or sweet potato they are 1. cheating or 2. going to fail.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  6. #56
    paleo-bunny's Avatar
    paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SW England, UK
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I actually disagree. Most SAD people can easily eat and thrive on quality carbs. The would be better off with a dinner of beef, sweet potato, asparagus and a banana for dessert than the lean cuisine, pizza or happy meal they currently eat. And they would be better off with beef and spinach over that lean cuisine, pizza or happy meal, for certain... but one scenario is harder to pull off than the other. You want SAD people to start a WOE that they can sustain for their whole lives.

    For me, (and I think MOST people), eliminating most carbs is not worth the effort. That fruit and starch keeps me performing better and luckily doesn't hurt my weight loss and may actually be a better assistant to weightloss/body composition as it fuels me to work out harder.

    To each his own, but I hate reading about people struggling with VLC,ready to go back to SAD or CW because they think that if they have a banana or sweet potato they are 1. cheating or 2. going to fail.
    Here is a voice of reason.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

  7. #57
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Hmmm... Well I eat almost nothing but real foods and have vastly improved my health and my overall feelings of well-being, so by your standards, I'm doing just what the doctor ordered!

    So I think I fit within the blueprint just fine.

    And by the way, I'll be sticking around, despite my "low carb bent" and you'll just have to put up with it. Heh.

  8. #58
    PrimalStudent's Avatar
    PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    267
    Wow, didn't expect to come back to this thread and find so many (fired up) responses.

    For the purposes of answering the original question (and whether or not you think LC is good or bad), is it safe to assume that a carb is a carb -- and that fifty grams of broccoli carbs affect the body no differently from sweet potato or squash carbs? or have I gotten this wrong?

    Sorry... the conversation sort of veered and I'm still a little fuzzy on the verdict!

  9. #59
    paleo-bunny's Avatar
    paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SW England, UK
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Hmmm... Well I eat almost nothing but real foods and have vastly improved my health and my overall feelings of well-being, so by your standards, I'm doing just what the doctor ordered!

    So I think I fit within the blueprint just fine.

    And by the way, I'll be sticking around, despite my "low carb bent" and you'll just have to put up with it. Heh.
    That is great. Good for you. If low carb works for you, in a minority, why would I wish to drive you away?
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

  10. #60
    paleo-bunny's Avatar
    paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SW England, UK
    Posts
    2,667
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Wow, didn't expect to come back to this thread and find so many (fired up) responses.

    For the purposes of answering the original question (and whether or not you think LC is good or bad), is it safe to assume that a carb is a carb -- and that fifty grams of broccoli carbs affect the body no differently from sweet potato or squash carbs? or have I gotten this wrong?

    Sorry... the conversation sort of veered and I'm still a little fuzzy on the verdict!
    No - not all carbs are equal. If you are young with a healthy metabolism starch is superior to fructose. And you don't need to count fiber. If you post more details on your personal circumstances, you should receive some beneficial advice.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •