Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Quality Carbs -- Starches and Greens page 11

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by scott442 View Post
    Leafy green vegetables have more nutrition per calorie than any other food. Greens make up a significant source vitamins A, C, E and K as well as several B vitamins. They are rich sources of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron and potassium. They are rich in fiber, extremely low in fat and carbohydrates and provide an excellent source of protein.
    Really? Please tell me this is spam....otherwise I've lost all faith in humanity.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Learn something new every day
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

bluechip is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I try and eat a mix of starchy veggies and green veggies, more for the mix of nutrients. Last night I had chicken, sweet potato and asparagus.

There are a select group of people here that eat very low carb and really avoid fruits and starches because they have issues with carbs that most people are unlikely to have. But they are kind of special case people.

For me, I have found that I can eat a lot of good carbs- starches, veggies and fruits and still lose weight and feel great. I'm of the mentality that the more variety of good foods you can eat, the better. Over time, you'll get better at listening to your body (for example, if I have a more sedentary day or have a carbier breakfast, I often don't want starch at dinner and just end up with a green veggie and meat). On more active days, I tend to eat lighter, higher carb foods.
    I agree - The more variety of good foods you can eat the better. I am not good at listening to my body, so I log everything I eat to find trends and then evaluate if they were good or not. The only way we can get better is to understand our past.
    Regards,
    ~ Chris

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Really? Please tell me this is spam....otherwise I've lost all faith in humanity.
    Didn't you know iceberg lettuce has a complete amino acid profile, therefore eating 2 heads a day for 2 weeks will lead to weightloss!

bluechip is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Didn't you know iceberg lettuce has a complete amino acid profile, therefore eating 2 heads a day for 2 weeks will lead to weightloss!
    I didn't think iceberg lettuce had any nutritional value other than fiber... Could you tell me where I could find out what aminos / nutritional info it has? (Normally I avoid Iceberg at the salad bar and go for spinach specifically based on nutritional info)
    Regards,
    ~ Chris

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluechip View Post
    I didn't think iceberg lettuce had any nutritional value other than fiber... Could you tell me where I could find out what aminos / nutritional info it has? (Normally I avoid Iceberg at the salad bar and go for spinach specifically based on nutritional info)
    Since it doesn't come across well in type....otzi was being sarcastic

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Ah, some maybe, but not all. I drink my tea and coffee straight, always have. None of this bulletproof nonsense for me. Heh.

Though, to run a slight counter argument to that however, I would argue that the nutritional profile of several fat sources is quite amazing. Coconut oil has the MTCs which really do provide, long, stable and solid energy
    I'm going to stop you there and clarify.

I am not a carbohydrate zealot by any means. I don't support a low fat diet, I don't support a high carbohydrate diet...I don't support any kind of diet. The reason why I always seem to support carbohydrate is because that's where the fear in this lifestyle lies. People around here don't fear dietary fat from animals and vegetable sources like coconut and palm. Lots of people are needlessly afraid of carbohydrate, so I come to their rescue. If the tables were turned and universally embraced potatoes and fruit and were scared of fats, I'd be having these same conversations supporting fats.

Case and point: you will find me constantly defending nuts and olive oil. Lots of people are afraid of nuts because of PUFA content. Similarly, lots of people are afraid to heat extra virgin olive oil because it is low in saturated fat. That is all BS. Raw, unprocessed, whole walnuts may have a similar lipid profile to canola and soybean oil, but they are not even CLOSE on a nutritional scale. Nuts are real, whole foods. And study after study has shown extra virgin olive oil to be extremely resistant to oxidation - far more resistant than bacon grease, which people don't hesitate to cook with. The reason why is while bacon grease is richer in saturated fat, it contains no antioxidants while extra virgin olive oil is incredibly rich in antioxidants that prevent it from going rancid under heat.

It's all context. I support the eating of real whole foods - meat, vegetables, fruits, starches, nuts - I do not discriminate. I am about avoiding grains, legumes, highly refined sugars and refined PUFA oils, not avoiding real foods because of macro breakdown.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by scott442 View Post
    Leafy green vegetables have more nutrition per calorie than any other food. Greens make up a significant source vitamins A, C, E and K as well as several B vitamins. They are rich sources of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron and potassium. They are rich in fiber, extremely low in fat and carbohydrates and provide an excellent source of protein.
    1.) Vitamins A, E and K are fat soluble. Much of the nutrition is bound up in the fiber and not bioavailable, and you have to cook them very well and eat them alongside fat to absorb the nutrition.

2.) Vegetarian protein sources are not very bioavailable. For example, 50% of the protein in beans and nuts are useless by the body. You have to eat over 200 grams of protein in peanuts to equal 100 grams of protein from eggs. They are also not complete protein - you can survive solely on eggs or milk for a very long period of time. If you do that with beans or nuts, you will die rather quickly. An exception to this rule is the white potato, but they're very low in protein.

3.) The dietary fiber in greens is very rough on your digestive system and hard on your body to process. It is insoluble, not soluble like sweet potato, banana or white potato fiber.

Greens are good for you, but they are supplemental, not a significant source of calories. You will survive better and healthier on an all-animal diet than an all-plant diet.

But thanks for the troll ad.

Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by bluechip View Post
    I would label fiber an anti-nutrient before I would label it a nutrient. It binds to nutrients and keeps them unavailable to your body, then beats the crap out of your digestive system. At least insoluble vegetable fiber does. Soluble fiber from (non-grain) starches is the good stuff.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Since it doesn't come across well in type....otzi was being sarcastic
    He forgot to use the sarcastic font
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast