Thread: squat check page

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member

squat check

Primal Fuel
    My 2nd attempt at low bar squats. Not sure if its a coincidence or not but lower back has been hurting. Mite also be because of a retarded dead lift I did the other day.

Thanks,

Squat - YouTube

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    My 2nd attempt at low bar squats. Not sure if its a coincidence or not but lower back has been hurting. Mite also be because of a retarded dead lift I did the other day.

Thanks,

Squat - YouTube
    If your back is hurting I suggest throwing back your hips first and make your body follow so back arches a little more
    Billie trips balls

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    It looks like you have some flexion around L1. Keep the chest a little higher and stay tighter in the bottom position. And walk backwards out of the rack rather than forwards.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    And walk backwards out of the rack rather than forwards.
    Really. Really do this. Please.

Thanks guys. I had to google why you were telling me to walk backwards out of the rack. Makes sense now.

Coach, could you elaborate on the flexion? How can you tell? Is this a constant thing or a thing that happens when you squat? I've done a little research and I've learned some stretches to fix it. Should I see a chiropractor?

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    It is tricky to tell from a single video but it looks like it's most likely something unique to your squat, or at least something that occurs under loading. I'm making it sound like a condition but really I think it can be fixed with a little more focus on the technical aspect. At the start of the video (0:09) you're in a pretty good neutral spine position with your chest high. However, in the bottom position of your squat, there is significant rounding of your spine and you lose that neutral position - 0:26 shows this position well, although it's all slightly obscured because of the bar and plates. If you pause the video at 0:26, during the very bottom position, and draw an imaginary line between your coccyx and upper back you'll notice a big arch. I thought the flexion seemed to be primarily occurring around L1 but it's actually flexion through the entire spine.

To fix this you just need to focus more on maintaining that neutral spine position (by bracing your core) and/or keeping your head and chest a little higher. Holding your breath during the lift can help here too.

MikeD is offline Junior Member
    All kinesiology aside. Form looks great. Usually does with minimal load. No offense. With a lighter weight it's easy to see true form. As it gets heavier, while form doesn't go out the window, it gets a little questionable. Here's my .02 from a powerlifters point of view. Build your upper back, strengthen your lower back and try to keep your chest up by keeping your back tight. One small tweak would be to try to keep your elbows as close to vertical as possible. Squeeze the bar like your life depends on it and it will help keep everything where you need it. It's not rocket science. Don't over think it.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I actually just re-watched the video and I think you're failing to reach parallel by about an inch or inch and a half.

Also, I don't think I like what your hands/wrists are doing. Even though I have to look through the hold in the plate to see it, it looks like you're in some serious wrist flexion and you may be supporting too much of the weight on your arms rather than your deltoids.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I actually just re-watched the video and I think you're failing to reach parallel by about an inch or inch and a half.

Also, I don't think I like what your hands/wrists are doing. Even though I have to look through the hold in the plate to see it, it looks like you're in some serious wrist flexion and you may be supporting too much of the weight on your arms rather than your deltoids.
    Agreed. I am having a lot of problems with the shoulder flexibility so I am forced to use more wrist. It's getting better tho.

MikeD is offline Junior Member
    Experiment with hand placement on the bar. Try bringing it closer and further until you are more comfortable with the bar on your back. It also looked like you were using a false or suicide grip. You have to squeeze the bar with everything you've got so that wont work. Try the eagle grip. Or if you have access to a yoke bar, use that instead.