Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing for food contamination page

elektro is offline Member

Testing for food contamination

Shop Now
    Are there any home test kits that can accurately test a piece of food to see if it contains any harmful bacteria that could cause food poisoning/and or stomach illness? I know there are tons of different bacteria out there, but I imagine there is a set that is more common in regards to food illnesses that someone would have a test for?
    Thanks

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Follow your nose. It's the best testing device devised and refined over millions of years.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I had a recent "incident" with some pork left in my car. (Not CAFO, but from my butcher.) Of course I did a google search to see how risky it would be for me to eat it.

First, the stuff that will make you sick, you probably won't see or smell. The stuff you see/smell probably won't be the thing to make you sick.

Second, I did eat the slightly-soured pork. I'm fine.

Now, I'm not saying to go out and eat rotting meat, but I also don't get all crazy over a little age either (if it's from a quality source.)

Of course if it makes you gag, you probably still shouldn't eat it.

OK, so to clarify, I'm not talking about how to test food I'm about to eat. Basically I've been eating a popular paleo product for almost a year now. Suddenly the latest one I bought made me very sick for almost 2 days when I ate it with a meal. At first I didn't think it was the culprit and possibly something else in my meal because I eat a ton of this stuff and never had problems with it before. But then a few days after I got better I tried it again on its own and immediately got very sick from it again and am still recovering. So now I'm 100% sure it's the culprit. I still have the product in my fridge and want to have it tested to see if 1) it contains some harmful bacteria, and if so the severity of it 2) if I find it contaminated I want to report it so that others don't get sick 3) If possible, determine if the contamination may have come from the producer or in the handeling and/or storage of the product by the store. 4) If it may have caused any harm that I may need to be treated for, because the sickness was pretty severe and lasted several days between both times I ate it.

This product is practically a staple in the paleo community and one I really enjoy, which is why I'm willing to spend the time/money to investigate this. And if the manufacture is to blame, then I want to make sure they are held responsible.

Any suggestions?

irishfoxy is offline Member
    If you think it is contaminated, take it to your local health agency and ask them to test it, and if it is, they will investigate the problem and issue a health warning. Far more official that way.
    28 years old, insurance broker
    starting weight 195 lbs (5'4")
    working on losing weight, getting active, and curing my GERD

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    If it's eggs, this is common. Take a break and introduce them slowly later.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

How would I find my local health agency? I typed it into goggle along with my city but it was only listin health care places. Is there a more specific name I can search on, or a listing of them somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by irishfoxy View Post
    If you think it is contaminated, take it to your local health agency and ask them to test it, and if it is, they will investigate the problem and issue a health warning. Far more official that way.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    You might call public health services or something like that. Personally I'd just call the company your talking about and report it to them. Especially since you ate it twice and are pretty sure of the matter by your own account. Dunno who or what product your talking about, but if they are paleo product most are very good about customer service. They would likely be happy to run their own tests and supply you with replacements or something.

duncaterro is offline Junior Member
    It's the best testing device devised and refined over millions of years.

irishfoxy is offline Member
    28 years old, insurance broker
    starting weight 195 lbs (5'4")
    working on losing weight, getting active, and curing my GERD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast