Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of Doctor? page

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

Question What kind of Doctor?

Shop Now
    Hi!

I'm very new to Primal and this site. I really need help. I'm considerably older than most of you, and find I've been a complete victim of the FDA and the HMO's and medicare. Because I'm in pretty seriously bad condition, is there a type of professional that can help me in primal type nutrition? I've been to the regular AMA nutrionists, and am told to eat high-fiber cerals, which made be very sick.

So far, i've been on Primal 2 weeks and feel very much better, but I have some other problems I'd like specific help with. I have stringy poops that won't come out. This may be caused by pre cancerous polyps which I also have. Is there anything to help that? I also have an increasingly arthritic right hip which makes exercising (by walking) difficult.

I'd really appreciate any replies.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 12-11-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Loneketo is offline Senior Member
    A naturopath may be something your looking for? The chances of them following primal/paleo is anyone's guess.

Thank you. There is a California Naturopathic Clinic not too far from my home. I'll give them a call.

They are also on facebook. Is this the kind of place that looks good?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Many different types of doctors (ND's, DC's, DO's, even some MD's) practice functional medicine. You might consider finding one trained in that approach.

There is a directory here Functional Medicine Doctors | Certified Practitioner Directory - Welcome

And here Institute for Functional Medicine

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    My take-- the "type' of medical professional that can help you is any that will:
    1. Listen to you.
    2. Take your concerns seriously
    3. Work WITH you to find the cause and best treatment for the issues you are facing.

If you have/had pre-cancerous polyps I would think they were removed when found and that follow-up testing
    (colonoscopies) were recommended.

As to the arthritis, giving up grains helped me tremendously in respect to my bone on bone knee arthritis.However, it took time.

Finally, give eating/living primally time. You are two weeks in. Your body needs time to adapt and heal.

There are only 2 Functional Medicine Doctors in CA, and none near enough to me. But that sounds good.

Their National site says that to reduce arthritis new study has shown that the following:

HOLY BASIL (Ocimum sanctum) Contains the powerful COX-2 inhibitor ursolic acid, which significantly enhances detoxification and reduces inflammation.

TURMERIC Unique curcumin phytonutrient complex, naturally inhibits inflammatory COX-2; synergistic with green tea, significantly multiplying anti-inflammatory effect of green tea polyphenols.

GINGER Supercritical extract inhibits both inflammatory COX and 5-LO and offers numerous anti-aging constituents.

GREEN TEA Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences report green tea polyphenols markedly reduce COX-2. Major university database notes green tea contains 51 anti-inflammatory phytonutrients.

ROSEMARY Dual extracts offer highly concentrated, full spectrum, COX-2 inhibition and support detoxification.

HU ZHANG (Polygonum cuspidatum) Richest known resveratrol source, shown scientifically to inhibit inflammatory COX-2.

CHINESE GOLDTHREAD AND BARBERRY Unique berberine phytonutrient complex, naturally inhibits inflammatory COX-2.*

OREGANO Source of large number of anti-inflammatory compounds according to USDA database.*

SCUTELLARIA Unique baicalin phytonutrient complex, naturally inhibits inflammatory COX-2.

That's interesting. Ginger, Oregano, Rosemary, and Tumeric are spices I use often. Though I've only been on this diet 2 weeks I've been drinking lots of Green Tea (without sugar even). Of course, I don't use concentrates of these spices.

I have a family doctor at my HMO (one of the best in the Nation, the FDA says) and he says my polyps are not large enough to remove. They usually wait until they grow larger because the operation is very risky. Does this agree with your information?

And Yes, I'm probably in too much of a hurry for results. Two weeks is not much and I've had great improvement already.

Thank you both.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 12-11-2012 at 08:35 PM.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I had one polyp 6 years ago-discovered through a routine colonoscopy at age 50. Upon seeing it, it was removed and later tested. It was determined to be not cancerous but highly susceptible to becoming cancerous. I find your doctor' s outlook unusually.

My understanding-- polyps are easily removed during colonoscopy with very little risk. Biopsy is usually done on the removed polyp tissue. With that being said-- if your polyp wasn't removed how was it determined to be pre-cancerous?

I adopted low carb/primal eating January 1, 2009. A subsequent colonoscopy, 3 years after the first one, revealed no polyps.

I'm curious, you say you are older than most people here, how old are you? Are you male or female?

emmie is online now Senior Member
    I have never, ever heard what your doctor said about polyps. How were they diagnosed? They are normally found during a colonoscopy, and the doctor will IMMEDIATELY remove even the tiniest ones. 'Waiting' for them to grow larger is unheard of.

In fact, twice my doctor removed polyps that were just barely forming. All polyps are potentially cancerous, and that may be what your doctor meant, but that is the reason that they are removed immediately.

At my first colonoscopy, no polyps were found, but I was having some GI problems, so my gastro scheduled my next one for 5 years rather than 10. Since then, there have been polyps, and I now have a colonoscopy every 3 years. My sister, who is much younger than I am, tends to grow polyps, and she has been advised to have annual colonoscopies.

I have never heard of leaving polyps to grow larger. Cataracts, yes, but not intestinal polyps.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Oh, and for Primal/Paleo there is this network Paleo Physicians Network
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-12-2012 at 05:29 AM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Your constipation just possibly could be the result of too much modern medicine, too. Sticking things up the rectum to have a look around, surgery in there plus antibiotics and a bad diet can hurt your gut flora. You may consider doing some research on that angle. There are dietary things that can help, like low fiber or elimination diets.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast