Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Primal Blood Sugar Question page

stone is offline Junior Member

New to Primal Blood Sugar Question

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,
    So far this website has been awesome! I went Paleo 10 days ago before even finding this site. I am really having a hard time with feel like my blood sugar is low. I have checked it many times and anytime it is under 100 I have this fog and sort of dizzy feeling. Then when I am feeling good it is 100+ but less than 120. When I wake up in the morning it is 92-95. Has anyone experienced this? 80-99 should be the place I want to be at but it feels bad to me. Help as this is super frustrating!
    Thanks

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I think your body is healing and adjusting to your new way of eating. Give it time and eventually your body will get used to it and things should go back to normal.

It's quite common for people to feel odd or out of place when starting a new way of eating that their body may not be used to.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I felt pretty nasty for 2 weeks when I started strict Paleo. I was already gluten free, too, for several years. People describe it in many ways: flu, fog, fatigue, etc. It wasn't unsettling; just annoying.

Low blood pressure? I went through a scary time, but further into Paleo. My fasting blood sugar was in the 80s, but turns out my blood pressure was 80/45. Ooops. Steady pulse in the 50s but that is my conditioned normal.

Added salt and caffeine to my diet and I feel better. I was also under the weather with some type of virus at the same time so maybe a double whammy.

My BP is naturally low: 90/50 my entire life with only occasional dizziness upon standing. I cannot tolerate much of a drop before I feel symptomatic.

It *is* super frustrating!
    Last edited by PHaselow; 12-11-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I'm new too. 2 weeks. And for 1.5 weeks I was very dizzy and light-headed when I woke up in the morning and anytime I changed from 45 deg or less to 90 deg. Those effects have disappeared now. Also my energy lever is up a good bit.

I think these effect are caused by withdrawing from sugar and processed carbs.

otzi Guest
    Gravity and insulin: the dynamic duo The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Really good article on how insulin works. Unless you have been diagnosed as diabetic--don't sweat your blood sugar, but eat to keep it as low as possible...this means cut waaaay back on sugar and don't snack a lot.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure your symptoms are from blood sugar? I'm prone to low BP---and that's how I feel in the morning if my BP is too low.

My sister is diabetic, and when her blood sugar is low, her symptoms are 'shakiness' and cold sweat.

If you're new to Primal eating, you may not be getting enough salt (processed foods contain tons of sodium, so eliminating processed foods often leaves folks initially low in salt) and that might lower BP.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Your body was used to a higher sugar, so a lower, normal sugar feels too low. Keep it steadily lower and it should pass within two weeks as your body decides this is the new normal.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    Your body was used to a higher sugar, so a lower, normal sugar feels too low. Keep it steadily lower and it should pass within two weeks as your body decides this is the new normal.
    If not a BP issue I'd say you nailed it. This has been my experience.
    Last edited by Terry H; 12-12-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: sp

stone is offline Junior Member
    update time. on day 12 i felt like something changed. day 13 i felt great. today is day 14 and i feel awesome. i have energy like i have not head for a long time, and i have been very strict on my carbs. i guess 32 year of bad food took 13 days to get my self to my new normal. i wanted to give up from day 8 on but i am so glad i stuck it out!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    update time. on day 12 i felt like something changed. day 13 i felt great. today is day 14 and i feel awesome. i have energy like i have not head for a long time, and i have been very strict on my carbs. i guess 32 year of bad food took 13 days to get my self to my new normal. i wanted to give up from day 8 on but i am so glad i stuck it out!
    Not sure what you mean by 'being strict on carbs', but if you want to be strict about something--stay away from sugar, veg oil, and flour. You may need 'carbs'. Get them in the form of starchy veg (potato, beets, carrots) and low sugar fruits like berries, bananas, etc... Others may have different advice, but the more you demonize and lump all carbs together, the less happy you will be in the long-run.

BUT, congratulations on choosing this path and regaining your health!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast