Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Deer in my yard. No weapons. How to eat them? page 9

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Not to be insensitive, but just from this post I can see that you have a home with a yard, a computer and an internet connection. That ain't poverty in my book.
    It amazes me how often I see stories on the news about people that cannot afford to feed their kids, but I can see the dish network setup, a laptop, a Wii, a fairly new car in the driveway, and mom's nails are always done.
    The computer is our connection to the world. Cell phones are expensive and dangerous, so all we have is a land line and this hand-me-down PC from our relatives. We spent ALL our money (worked overtime and saved money for five years) to buy the house and are still recovering our savings. There is no extravagance in our lives. When my bicycle finally rusts through, I'll be walking for exercise instead of riding. You wouldn't last a month in my shoes. It's madness. Thankfully, I grew up this way. I'm totally used to every possible form of deprivation. You can't break a broken person, the scars are too thick to cut through. Even your misplaced criticism means almost nothing. I'm used to having holes in my shoes and no way to travel.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    The computer is our connection to the world. Cell phones are expensive and dangerous, so all we have is a land line and this hand-me-down PC from our relatives. We spent ALL our money (worked overtime and saved money for five years) to buy the house and are still recovering our savings. There is no extravagance in our lives. When my bicycle finally rusts through, I'll be walking for exercise instead of riding. You wouldn't last a month in my shoes. It's madness. Thankfully, I grew up this way. I'm totally used to every possible form of deprivation. You can't break a broken person, the scars are too thick to cut through. Even your misplaced criticism means almost nothing. I'm used to having holes in my shoes and no way to travel.
    You live on 5 ACRES OF LAND. You spent ALL of your money on your home. WHY?! You put yourself in self-induced poverty. Man, 5 acres. That is my dream. But you know what? I can't afford it. I wouldn't even be approved for a mortgage on that amount of land. "Used to every possible form of deprivation", ugh, people on this forum who rent, have no yard, and no savings at all, let alone savings in the process of "recovery" should kick you in the nuts.
    Last edited by PrimalJewishAmericanPrincess; 12-12-2012 at 01:24 PM.

LOL. We're saving money again, by a margin. Someday I'll be out of this hole. I've seen better times and will see them again, I just meant times are tough right now, and I'm sure plenty of people here know what that means. It means I want to eat the deer.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 12-12-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    I noticed you are in Washington state. If you are really interested in self-sufficiency living you have access to a couple of good schools in that area
    Alderleaf
    The Alderleaf Wilderness Certification Program: Nature & Outdoor Survival Course
    Alderleaf Wilderness College - YouTube
    and
    Wilderness Awareness
    Wilderness Survival School | Wilderness Awareness School - Nature and Outdoor Survival School
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Cool links!

Sorry for venting here. I don't do "friends" so I guess every now and then the steam just builds up and has to come out somewhere. My problems are mine alone, and I should not use them to justify any action.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Cool links!
    I'm familiar with instructors from these two schools. They are quite good at teaching this stuff so I'm a bit envious of your proximity. If you want to get out of the "machine" you first have to learn the skills. They can teach you....and then you could make some income teaching others on the side.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

I don't think that's steam that needs venting.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I live on five acres with several neighbors hidden behind trees (leaves have dropped, we can see each others' houses for now). Three acres are forest, the other two are ours to play with. These three deer have been eating our compost for a few weeks now and are regular visitors. Looks like a large female and two younger deer. I don't speak hunting, guns or seasons. We just bought a freezer and are looking to fill it. My neighbor says he'll give me a beaver if he kills it. It's poverty 101. See food, eat food. All you richy-rich people talking about spending rent money to buy grass-fed meat, guns, licenses, education and ammo haven't ever had to think things through that far, I guess. It's cute to spout laws and regulations, too. And for the wealthy with too much free time and the insatiable urge to just kill stuff for fun, those regulations have a real purpose. But for genuine humans with no silver spoon in their mouths, there's this cold, hard reality. I just turned 30 and my wife won't let me even try to reproduce with her unless there's money in the bank. I could drop dead any day, never having reproduced. And celibacy is crap. How many years am I supposed to live like a monk? If I waste my money trying to do things the right way, I'll never have a family. Is that what you want? Nobody would want that for anybody. So if I can eat that deer, I'm going to. I don't have a whole lot of options otherwise.
    You probably don't want to shoot any guns if there are neighbors. Perhaps you can befriend the deer, get them tame, then take their lives. Or maybe you'd be better off buying some guinea pigs and rabbits at the pet shop and breeding them. Chickens, too. Don't forget chickens.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I live on five acres with several neighbors hidden behind trees (leaves have dropped, we can see each others' houses for now). Three acres are forest, the other two are ours to play with. These three deer have been eating our compost for a few weeks now and are regular visitors. Looks like a large female and two younger deer. I don't speak hunting, guns or seasons. We just bought a freezer and are looking to fill it. My neighbor says he'll give me a beaver if he kills it. It's poverty 101. See food, eat food. All you richy-rich people talking about spending rent money to buy grass-fed meat, guns, licenses, education and ammo haven't ever had to think things through that far, I guess. It's cute to spout laws and regulations, too. And for the wealthy with too much free time and the insatiable urge to just kill stuff for fun, those regulations have a real purpose. But for genuine humans with no silver spoon in their mouths, there's this cold, hard reality. I just turned 30 and my wife won't let me even try to reproduce with her unless there's money in the bank. I could drop dead any day, never having reproduced. And celibacy is crap. How many years am I supposed to live like a monk? If I waste my money trying to do things the right way, I'll never have a family. Is that what you want? Nobody would want that for anybody. So if I can eat that deer, I'm going to. I don't have a whole lot of options otherwise.
    most hunter education courses are free. check out your state. read the actual laws to see if you could actually use a gun there or a bow/xbow. search craigslist and buy a used bow, etc. practice. harvest animal. learn to gut, butcher, package the meat, etc or it will go to waste. the fines/potential jail time for poaching an animal are a shit-ton more than the minimal cost of a license, used bow and a handful of arrows.

don't be an ass and assume people on here are "richy-rich" and hunting because they have "too much free time" and an "insatiable urge to kill for fun." like someone else mentioned, you live in a house, you have a computer, etc. you're not as poor as you think you are. you could also, um, get another job. my father worked 80 hours a week to support us when i was a kid, and still had time to hunt because he loved it, and because he had to put meat on the table. i guess i'll have to inform him that he was just richy rich and killing for fun.

instead of shit-talking the people who are trying to help you, you should be thanking us.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast