Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer in my yard. No weapons. How to eat them? page 6

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    any properly placed projectile will do the trick. the crossbow isn't particularly better than any other type of weapon. just easier to shoot for some people. plenty of people make plenty of bad shots with crossbows. it's not the weapon you use, but the accuracy of placement of the shot. i could take a deer with any number of my rifles, shotguns or compound bows. or i could take one with a 40 year old, 38# draw recurve and old cedar arrows. it doesn't matter. as long as i put the arrow where it needs to go. the key (like you mentioned) is the training. and more importantly, knowing what shots to take and what shots not to take.
    Totally agree. I just suggested the crossbow since, although this is a pretty silly thread, it's actually a viable option should Knifegill decide to actually pursue quietly taking a deer on his property without disturbing the neighbors. A suppressed .308 would do the trick, as well, but that route is WAAAAY more expensive. A person can make good shots with a scoped crossbow on a tripod from 25 yards (even from inside a guest bedroom) with a pretty short learning curve and relatively small monetary investment.

And I may or may not be trying this while at my brother's house for Christmas...

Also, it cracks me up that you're using my quote in your signature line.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    this

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_H View Post
    You need to find out the hunting regulations in your area. Just because it is on your acreage, doesn't mean you can take the deer without a license. Deer hunting is my absolute favorite past time, and there is no finer eating than a fat, two point mule deer. Deer steaks dredged in flour and panfried in butter are phenominal (as is the heart), and unfortuntely cocnut flour and almond flour are poor substitutes for wheat flour in this instance.

Parting thought: Wild game is as good as the best grassfed beef...
    and this

take the appropriate hunter safety course, buy the appropriate weapon that would let you legally hunt them during the appropriate season, practice your ass off, and then take the shot. poaching deer is most definitely not legal in any state of this fine union. you need to find out if you can legally shoot within the proximity to your house, neighbors' houses, and what the clearances are. you need to find out if your town has firearms discharge laws (yes, bows are considered firearms), you need to find out if your state has primitive weapons laws that would allow you to use a spear. sorry to rain on your venison-induced parade...
    because this

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalJewishAmericanPrincess View Post
    No, not at all, not one bit. I have great respect for hunters, as I would for the OP if he would get the proper training and tools. However, many of the posts here discuss hitting it with rocks, beating it with a bat, poisoning it, running it to exhaustion, stabbing it repeatedly with a homemade spear etc. THAT is despicable.
    is beyond douchey
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

fuzzylogic is offline Senior Member
    Just out of curiosity, if you manage to hit the deer, have you ever dressed out a large animal? or a small animal?

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Totally agree. I just suggested the crossbow since, although this is a pretty silly thread, it's actually a viable option should Knifegill decide to actually pursue quietly taking a deer on his property without disturbing the neighbors. A suppressed .308 would do the trick, as well, but that route is WAAAAY more expensive. A person can make good shots with a scoped crossbow on a tripod from 25 yards (even from inside a guest bedroom) with a pretty short learning curve and relatively small monetary investment.

And I may or may not be trying this while at my brother's house for Christmas...

Also, it cracks me up that you're using my quote in your signature line.
    oh man...too bad suppressors are illegal in nj...then again, so is rifle hunting.

well, i may or may not want to hear if you were successful or not. i've only taken 1 deer so far this year, and am in need of taking at least one more. i just need to find the time to get out and hunt.

it was a great quote. worthy of being repeated. and it suits me perfectly
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    oh man...too bad suppressors are illegal in nj...then again, so is rifle hunting.

well, i may or may not want to hear if you were successful or not.
    I hate our suppressor laws. I don't get why it's so hard for us to protect our hearing when hunting or target shooting. I also don't get why some states refuse to allow rifle hunting--a good centerfire cartridge, in my opinion, is often superior to a shotgun slug in terms of humane wild animal harvesting. Sigh.

And don't worry...I'll let you know.

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member
    Just in case anyone didn't catch it, I was of course joking about ricin. Is anyone actually taking this thread seriously? Lol

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    A couple of weeks ago my brother shot a deer from inside his house with a crossbow (from the upstairs guest bedroom). He lives in the suburbs--neighbors are no more than 100 yards away on each side. You can pick up a good used hunting crossbow fairly cheaply, and it would probably pay for itself in free meat very quickly. Not saying it's legal where you live...but...investigate.

This is our situation and I have wondered about how to kill one myself, except it's not allowed here in the city limits. So there will be no crossbow from the bedroom window for us...

The deer here are not even afraid of us. This one is about to wander into the yard and I am standing on the deck:

deer.jpg
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i was more concerned about anyone getting the idea to try and stab a deer to death

know how to shoot, know how to aim, know how to hit your target
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_H View Post
    Deer hunting is my absolute favorite past time, and there is no finer eating than a fat, two point mule deer. Deer steaks dredged in flour and panfried in butter are phenominal (as is the heart), and unfortuntely cocnut flour and almond flour are poor substitutes for wheat flour in this instance.

Parting thought: Wild game is as good as the best grassfed beef...
    Would you shoot this mule?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aix_sponsa View Post
    Just in case anyone didn't catch it, I was of course joking about ricin. Is anyone actually taking this thread seriously? Lol
    somebody is lol
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast