Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer in my yard. No weapons. How to eat them? page 5

Primal Fuel
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Knifegill, you may not kill and eat the deer in your yard as they are purely decorative. Go have some canned fish and watch some Gossip Girl, that will get you your protein and war-hormones in marvelous substitute-sort-of-way.

Chris_H is offline Senior Member
    You need to find out the hunting regulations in your area. Just because it is on your acreage, doesn't mean you can take the deer without a license. Deer hunting is my absolute favorite past time, and there is no finer eating than a fat, two point mule deer. Deer steaks dredged in flour and panfried in butter are phenominal (as is the heart), and unfortuntely cocnut flour and almond flour are poor substitutes for wheat flour in this instance.

Parting thought: Wild game is as good as the best grassfed beef...
    Male, 32y, 6'0" tall
    SW 306lbs (6/1/12)
    CW 244lbs (1/17/13)

BP down from 120/80 to 110/74

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    take the appropriate hunter safety course, buy the appropriate weapon that would let you legally hunt them during the appropriate season, practice your ass off, and then take the shot. poaching deer is most definitely not legal in any state of this fine union. you need to find out if you can legally shoot within the proximity to your house, neighbors' houses, and what the clearances are. you need to find out if your town has firearms discharge laws (yes, bows are considered firearms), you need to find out if your state has primitive weapons laws that would allow you to use a spear. sorry to rain on your venison-induced parade...
    +1

Just because we eat primal doesn't mean you need to de-evolve and cause pain and undue suffering to an animal. Even thinking about it is despicable.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalJewishAmericanPrincess View Post
    +1

Just because we eat primal doesn't mean you need to de-evolve and cause pain and undue suffering to an animal. Even thinking about it is despicable.
    This is why I suggested a good hunting crossbow. My brother has taken 5 or 6 deer now with one and has never had one go farther than 20 yards after being hit. With the right equipment and training, that's about as humane as it gets.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalJewishAmericanPrincess View Post
    +1

Are you saying that hunting is despicable, but buying grocery store meat is okay?

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    This is why I suggested a good hunting crossbow. My brother has taken 5 or 6 deer now with one and has never had one go farther than 20 yards after being hit. With the right equipment and training, that's about as humane as it gets.
    any properly placed projectile will do the trick. the crossbow isn't particularly better than any other type of weapon. just easier to shoot for some people. plenty of people make plenty of bad shots with crossbows. it's not the weapon you use, but the accuracy of placement of the shot. i could take a deer with any number of my rifles, shotguns or compound bows. or i could take one with a 40 year old, 38# draw recurve and old cedar arrows. it doesn't matter. as long as i put the arrow where it needs to go. the key (like you mentioned) is the training. and more importantly, knowing what shots to take and what shots not to take.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Oh, oh. Here we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Are you saying that hunting is despicable, but buying grocery store meat is okay?
    No, not at all, not one bit. I have great respect for hunters, as I would for the OP if he would get the proper training and tools. However, many of the posts here discuss hitting it with rocks, beating it with a bat, poisoning it, running it to exhaustion, stabbing it repeatedly with a homemade spear etc. THAT is despicable.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Since I like to watch the deer in my yard, and since it might not be hunting season, and since you might not have a weapon or skills to use said weapon, but you have a hankering for a little deer, some areas have a call list, for lack of a better term, to where if a deer gets hit on the highway, they call you to see if you want it. We don't have one here (I dont think, I havent really checked) but my SIL got a number of deer that way. You just have to process it and work it up yourself. Maybe go pick it up, I dont know the details, just throwing that out there.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast