Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer in my yard. No weapons. How to eat them? page 2

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    hog hunting is done in many ways here. one of them is to get a pack of dogs to hold the hog while you jump on it and stick it with a knife. some more brave individuals wait up trees and jump on the hogs without the aid of the dogs and stick them. they are the stuff of legends as most people these days have the technology to use a gun or run dogs. deer are notoriously nervy and flighty and kick real bad when cornered, as in they can kill dogs, so i imagine it would be quite a feat to jump one. you also need to think how you intend to kill it quickly to avoid it injuring you or it suffering unduly. i have been told stories of people trying to kill sheep with a big rock. they were messy stories. generally cutting the throat is the way to go. or stick it in the heart with a knife or spear. you will need a very sharp strong knife. and i doubt very much you'd be able to persistence hunt a deer on your own on foot without assistance which is why we love our hunting dogs.

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member
    Make a bow and some arrows. You could also throw rocks at it, that would tenderize it at the same time.
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Sneak up on it, break its back legs with a baseball bat and cut its throat with a knife. Or continue bludgeoning with the bat.

A deadfall might work too if the rocks were big enough.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

do you know anyone with a gun who could come shoot it and share the meat? also worth thinking about. if you've never killed an animal before, knives and blood and half dead or dying large animals thrashing around can get very theatrical. and, maybe i am a wimp coz i am girl, but i really like the things we kill to go quickly.

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member
    This thread just reminds me of a quote from The Office that always makes me laugh:

"Yeah, I went hunting once. Shot a deer in the leg. Had to kill it with a shovel. Took about an hour. Why do you ask?" - Michael Scott

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    do you know anyone with a gun who could come shoot it and share the meat? also worth thinking about. if you've never killed an animal before, knives and blood and half dead or dying large animals thrashing around can get very theatrical. and, maybe i am a wimp coz i am girl, but i really like the things we kill to go quickly.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

LOL i cant see that dude doing much persistance hunting in the dress he's wearing. besides i have a gun. everything is usually already dead before i get there to get angry.

Persistance hunting? Ha!

well he wont need the gun either then. precooked venison on the hoof lol

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    bow and arrow?

become scaringly proficient with knife and ax throwing?

buy and train several big dogs?

dig a hole; cover; place food; ????; profit.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast