Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is "Getting Ripped" Even Healthy? page

rimam1 is offline Member

Is "Getting Ripped" Even Healthy?

Primal Fuel
    I know getting ripped is an obsession for lots of guys. I can totally understand where it comes from, as I myself am working to get more muscular, but the concept of "getting ripped" sounds like body engineering to fine tune yourself to 8 to 12 percent body fat.

If you get lean naturally from working out and eating correctly, that's cool. It just seems that aiming to get ripped can leave you gaunt and wiry, which I'm guessing is not very good for you.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Raza
    Here's my journey to getting ripped using intermittent fasting and strength training check it out here...

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I think that some people on here are trying to lose weight/gain muscle for essentially cosmetic or vanity reasons.

Functional strength and fitness is important though. That's what I'm shooting for, along with balanced hormones.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 12-11-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    I've never understood six packs. That doesn't seem natural. Why in nature would you have such a thing?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I think that some people on here are trying to lose weight/gain muscle for essentially cosmetic or vanity reasons.

Functional strength and fitness is important though. That's what I'm shooting for, along with balanced hormones.
    +1.

I find muscular people with a normal amount or moderate excess of body fat the most attractive and healthy-looking. This speaks health and vitality, while being relaxed. Lean muscle mass and functional strength and fitness override everything else as far as I am concerned.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    In defense of the lean, I've had a single digit body fat percentage for a couple years now and I think it's great. I eat plenty of healthy foods and I workout five days a week. I feel great and my lifestyle works for me. I'm not saying that you everyone needs to be super lean but what's unhealthy about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    In defense of the lean, I've had a single digit body fat percentage for a couple years now and I think it's great. I eat plenty of healthy foods and I workout five days a week. I feel great and my lifestyle works for me. I'm not saying that you everyone needs to be super lean but what's unhealthy about it?
    If your lean mass is higher than average then I would not question that you are healthy. I believe lean mass to be a key indicator of health.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rimam1 View Post
    I know getting ripped is an obsession for lots of guys. I can totally understand where it comes from, as I myself am working to get more muscular, but the concept of "getting ripped" sounds like body engineering to fine tune yourself to 8 to 12 percent body fat.

If you get lean naturally from working out and eating correctly, that's cool. It just seems that aiming to get ripped can leave you gaunt and wiry, which I'm guessing is not very good for you.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Raza
    Being between 8 - 12 % bodyfat for a male or 16 - 14 % for a woman is very healthy IMO. A male would be "ripped" I guess around 5 - 6 % and below, and thats not always healthy, but it may to a certain degree also depend on the person. Right now after finishing 4 weeks of dieting down, I dwell around 8/9 % and I am planning to stay that way...

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Um, no, a lot of women stop menstruating at 15% or lower. Most women find body fat below 18-20% is unsustainable (there are outliers of course, like with everything). 15% is competition levels of fat for female fitness models. Many athletic women sit at about 20%.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I agree with owly, 16-14% for a female is emaciated, weak and very unhealthy. Of course, some weak males like it that way.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ummm I am not sure Owly said week an enunciated, but rather unsustainable and only really achieved at competition levels.

Athletic is 20% and even that is pretty lean.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast