Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Is "Getting Ripped" Even Healthy? page 9

The Scott is offline Member
    Shop Now
    I find it interesting that so many have such a judgmental take to all of this. We as humans are designed to hold enough fat to keep it together during famine and hunting. Mark is probably between 8-10% bf and looks great. The idea that its unhealthy to carry lower body fat is ludicrous. It is very challenging for someone (man) to be under 8 and for woman 12-15 is about right for being athletic.

In my opinion most have these impressions out of fear of not being enough (those who are convinced its not healthy) they have self imposed limitations to justify why they are not in their best nature shape. The amount of sacrifice we as humans make to be fat sloth's is unbelievable so to undo that you have to sacrifice a bit (which is actually repairing the damage) Once you have repaired that damage the maintenance is much easier.

The unhealthy practices of getting to those low numbers is what is not good. We has people following PB are doing so for a bunch of reason but mostly for better health. If youre at your optimum performance at 25% and that is YOUR BEST then great. If youre sprinting the 100 in 12 seconds AWESOME! but without evidence to say xyz isnt healthy is as subjective as what bf you personally find appealing.

For me I hate body hair and I hate fat. I like running 3miles in under 18 minutes and I like bench pressing 255 plus for reps. Thats me or squatting 400+ I have personal goals and thats what this life is a challenge and do I live up to it or does it eat me alive?

Thats my take for what its worth

jujeki is offline Member
    Personally, I think "getting ripped" is a goal for too many people. That usually entails weight loss, then weight gain, then counting calories, then slimming back down for definition, etc... The list just goes on until the goal becomes an obsession. What happened to "getting ripped" being a result of having other passions and obsessions? Like one of the previous posters said, those climbing gyms, etc. have plenty of "ripped" folk, who usually got there by following their heart into some activity or other.

The Scott is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jujeki View Post
    Personally, I think "getting ripped" is a goal for too many people. That usually entails weight loss, then weight gain, then counting calories, then slimming back down for definition, etc... The list just goes on until the goal becomes an obsession. What happened to "getting ripped" being a result of having other passions and obsessions? Like one of the previous posters said, those climbing gyms, etc. have plenty of "ripped" folk, who usually got there by following their heart into some activity or other.

For me personally (Im 6'3" ish) and worked labor the majority of my life and have always been strong as hell. It takes a tremendous amount of volume for me to lean out. I worked construction most of my life so doing odds and ends (like rock climbing) does absolutely nothing for me but make me stronger but not leaner or bigger. For me it takes HEAVY compound lifts and things like boxing training and such, which I love.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789