Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Is "Getting Ripped" Even Healthy? page 7

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I will put in my two cents worth. As a female, "ripped" as in super lean, does not Really look that good to me. I think the 12-15% looks good for a man. It looks healthy. But I also don't get the whole shaving thing. I know people do it "show of their muscles" or whatever, but I think that's like plucking out your eyelashes to show off pretty eyes.
    For myself, I'm a little under 27% according to an online calculator. I'm shooting for 20%. I do not carry my weight like most women, I carry a lot in my upper body, especially in my arms face and even my back. If I carried it in an hourglass figure without extra fat on my face, I'd probably not be as worried about losing more. But I also have a lot of muscle, and if you have a lot of muscle, I think, as a woman, you look worse carrying some extra weight than a girl without it. Because your lean mass is already bigger to start with! When my face has no excess fat in it and my upper arms, I will be one happy camper, 6 pack or no.
    Last edited by AshleyL; 12-16-2012 at 02:14 PM.

feren6 is offline Member
    OP, it depends on why/how the person gets ripped.

If they have low self-esteem issues and want to get ripped because then they'll get laid, then YES it is unhealthy. If they pump their bodies full of unhealthy supplements or steroids, then yes, it's unhealthy.

Otherwise, it's not. You can get ripped off of Paleo foods, and it's not a big deal.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    If you deprive yourself of nutrition or adequate rest/recovery to the point that you are not meeting your needs, then that's unhealthy. If you're functioning optimally (or nearly so), and happened to be ripped as a result of your lifestyle then you're fine.

Health means a body that works well and bounces back well (recovers quickly and fully from stress), and does so consistently and reliably year after year.

BamaAla is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Does look good. Yet, I'd still be happy at 20%. Getting to the 10-12% guy would mean that my body is my hobby. I'd rather be 20% guy and work on other parts of my life.

As a dude, I think the 30% woman is va-va-voom.

Plus, as you age, you really need to keep on a little fat for your face.
    I'm with you on the 30% woman; I'm pretty sure that the picture is of Kim Kardashian!

I'm going to get a DEXA scan this week and I think I'm going to hit 20%; my goal is 15, so I'm getting close! I don't think I'd cry in my plate of steak if I got down to 10 or below, but when I get to 15, I'm going to stop "trying" to lose body fat.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    For men, losing a lot of body fat in spring and summer could easily lead to better hunting abilities. Running around with 10 or 20 pounds of flab is great in the winter, but not so hot when you're trying to sneak up on, run after or wrestle animals. I subscribe to the seasonal weight gain idea. Which is why I don't freak out if, sometimes, I look in the mirror and can't see all my trunk muscles. It's only a few pounds, it comes and goes, and it never stays for very long. Stress is far worse than being marginally overweight and arguably worse than (most) poor food choices. Though I doubt a good mood will save you if you're living on microwave dinners and mountain dew.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Below 10% of bodyfat, I guess, and a bit too lean for my taste! She will be fine after a few days on high carbs though:

Number4b.JPG

kwyser is offline Junior Member
    I think it depends on the type of strength and muscle you are trying to build and the exercises you do to get there. If you focus on natural, bodyweight exercises that promote functional strength, there's nothing healthy about it. But if you're going for pure size or measuring your gains based on how much weight you can bench, it can definitely be unhealthy.

Lifting too much weight in the gym causes all sorts of joint and balance problems, but if you can crank out 100 push ups and 50 pull ups you'll definitely be ripped, but you'll also be super strong and have a bulletproof body and joints.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwyser View Post
    I think it depends on the type of strength and muscle you are trying to build and the exercises you do to get there. If you focus on natural, bodyweight exercises that promote functional strength, there's nothing healthy about it. But if you're going for pure size or measuring your gains based on how much weight you can bench, it can definitely be unhealthy.

Lifting too much weight in the gym causes all sorts of joint and balance problems, but if you can crank out 100 push ups and 50 pull ups you'll definitely be ripped, but you'll also be super strong and have a bulletproof body and joints.
    Oh boy.

If you do something progressively, it is definitely healthy. You can get injured trying to lift something you're not ready for, just as much as if you try to do an advanced bodyweight move you're not ready for.

On the topic at hand: shut up, all of you.

mark h is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Below 10% of bodyfat, I guess, and a bit too lean for my taste! She will be fine after a few days on high carbs though:

Number4b.JPG
    I agree. She is an 8.5. Add a few pounds maybe a 10.
    Keep it going, Mark

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    that a very lean female body is unhealthy or "weak."
    It's not healthy to cease menstruation and not be able to get pregnant. I have to imagine it also disrupts the hormone system. I'm pretty sure those women are still strong and energetic, but health is more than athletic performance. The ideal body is in healthy balance and having one system not functioning is not a balanced body. Being ripped is not particularly beneficial to women because we need fat if we get pregnant.

I think a lot depends on your body type- if you can eat primal, work out and be ripped, great. If being ripped means crazy diets that don't provide the right nutrients or damaging workouts.... it is not healthy.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast