Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is "Getting Ripped" Even Healthy? page 5

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Does look good. Yet, I'd still be happy at 20%. Getting to the 10-12% guy would mean that my body is my hobby. I'd rather be 20% guy and work on other parts of my life.

As a dude, I think the 30% woman is va-va-voom.

Plus, as you age, you really need to keep on a little fat for your face.
    Well you know it's not a bad hobby to have. I mean obviously if all you do is workout then that's not ideal either.
    Yeah all men have different versions of what they find attractive and so do women. Honestly, I would not want to be back at 30% BF based on the built lean pics since I'm only 5'2. I definitely have been a lot heavier and I know how it looks and feels on me.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rimam1 View Post
    Wow, lots of awesome posts on this thread!

I think if you naturally get that lean, that's awesome. But I see lots of people online trying to engineer themselves to get down to that level. It just seems unsustainable, unless you're a fitness model.
    Agreed. Problems - when they do occur - are related to how that person got there and for what reason.

The bottom line is to listen to and nuture your body and ... if you are fighting your body and are measuring it in terms of some external disinterested standard perhaps you might need to reevaluate what you are doing and your motives for doing so.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Koobs is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    True I did leave that a bit vague didn't I? I suppose what I meant was with little effort or discomfort. Basically eat primal and not bothering to count calories or macros...letting the chips fall where they may. I do believe that by doing this most will fall in a healthy range of BF, but not everyone will be extra lean. For instance you had to do that all egg thing to get from 12% to single digits right? Well thats what I'm talking about.
    I used to do all that calorie/macro counting you are talking about before going primal. It worked very well to get me "ripped" which was only slightly less bf than I have now, but I was starving all the time and miserable, only eating about 2200 cals at 170lbs. Now that I eat primal I no longer count calories or macros or any of that stuff. I just eat. And not small portions either I eat a TON of food. I'd guess it to be in the 3000-4000 calorie range now and I can't seem to get past 175lbs.. Now with that said I do exercise too. But the amount and intensity hasn't changed, only the diet.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    Well you know it's not a bad hobby to have.
    No it's not. But it isn't for me.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    geeezoos, ppl.

There's more to life than a goddam six-pack. If you're there without much effort, fine. If you turn into an obsessive hermit to get a six pack, then your mental state is going to cause you far more damage than 5-6 pounds of fat. Work on your friendships instead.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Koobs is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    geeezoos, ppl.

There's more to life than a goddam six-pack. If you're there without much effort, fine. If you turn into an obsessive hermit to get a six pack, then your mental state is going to cause you far more damage than 5-6 pounds of fat. Work on your friendships instead.
    Nothing worth having comes without much effort.

I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that putting forth a lot of effort to achieve a great physique and good health is in any way harmful to one's mental state. I would argue the opposite.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    geeezoos, ppl.

People can be motivated of getting rid of their bodyfat for other reasons than seeing their own six-pack! Personally I have more of an eight pack right now, but that’s not the point at all! My last effort helped me to get rid of 10 pound of fat and the “feel-good” effect is very notable, since my heart doesn’t have to pump oxygen to all that inactive fat tissue. Moving around is more funny; sprints, pull-ups etc. feels much more easy, it’s like getting an extra sixth gear to my race car...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Since I'm guessing that most people who post here are in cultures with abundant and various foods available all year, it seems that a low body fat would be okay (barring the ceasing of menses in women trying to get pregnant). But I think if we had to rely on climate and hunting for our food, it would make more sense to for our bodies to vary. We would get slightly fatter when food was plentiful, and lean out when food sources were less. Not so fat that we couldn't hunt, just enough so that we could get through times of natural food scarcity.

That said, I don't only read M&F for the articles.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Good to hear sbhikes, Martin Berkhan, the Leangain guy, used to work as a model though, does he come under your definition of a "fitness model type"?

Martin seem to be almost too lean on this photo, so I hope his mind is still intact...
    Holy cow. I had never seen a pic of his legs. Just above the waist. I think it looks kinda weird.... but at the same time, I almost want to have a similar look. I am nowhere near as lean, and don't have as much muscle, so it's not going to happen any time soon.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I think just looking like a normal man is good enough. Look at aboriginals living in the wild. There's some definition but it's not all crazy huge. If that's what you want, fine, but seriously, it's not necessary for health or for getting laid.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast