Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is "Getting Ripped" Even Healthy? page 3

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm not sure the pictures of women on that page are accurate. I'm supposedly (according to body measurement calculations) around 26% but I think I look closest to their 35% picture, although not quite as good as that since I don't have that hourglass shape. Not that it matters that much.
    Body fat percentages look very different depending on the person's frame and how much muscle they have. Your bone structure and density and lean mass will have a big effect. The photos are generally a guide to estimating, but there's a lot of variation.

For example:

Leigh Peele » Blog Archive » Body Fat Pictures and Percentages

The 30% in that post looks very different from the one you linked.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    I think it is healthy to be ripped as long as you do it in a healthy way. If you are taking all kinds of crazy supplements and steroids eating over 6000 calories a day and then doing a crash diet to cut fat for competitions then it is very unhealthy. All those protein shakes have added sugar and crap in them.

I follow a healthy paleo diet to stay lean and power lift to bulk up. I take no steroids or any kind of lifting supplement, I gain muscle in an all natural way. I don't even drink protein shakes these days, I just eat a meal 60 to 90 minutes after I lift. I think that is completely healthy.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I think some people just have better genes for being lean and muscular. For those individuals, being "ripped" might not only be healthy, but their natural state. On the other hand, not all of us can have genes like that (boy, do I know THAT), and it might be a sign that our bodies are not quite up to that.

The key is to find what is natural for you. If muscles come easily, I don't see why it WOuLDN'T be healthy. But if you're having to work day after day in the gym just to see even minute gains, then perhaps you are over thinking things a bit.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I'm saying that fitness models are messed up. Not Mark. He's not a fitness model.
    Good to hear sbhikes, Martin Berkhan, the Leangain guy, used to work as a model though, does he come under your definition of a "fitness model type"?

berkhan.jpg

Martin seem to be almost too lean on this photo, so I hope his mind is still intact...

Jareddame is offline Member
    Also one must consider genetics as not all men or women look the same at 8-10%. I myself the lowest BF I've ever had was about 15-16% while on Primal/Paleo however when I was a lad I was about 12% for awhile. I think my portions are the issue with getting a lower BF but then I have to care enough about the six pack to pass on a second round of bacon .... the choice is never easy : )

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure the pictures of women on that page are accurate. I'm supposedly (according to body measurement calculations) around 26% but I think I look closest to their 35% picture, although not quite as good as that since I don't have that hourglass shape. Not that it matters that much.
    Are you kidding me? Judging from your pictures, I thought you looked like the 25%, 30% at worst Unless you're not talking about the illustrations.

Although I have to agree with the pictures not being that accurate due to my own perceived bf%. Although I have quite a bit more muscle than most women have, which are completely buried under my own layer of blubber
    Last edited by sakura_girl; 12-11-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    There is not a linear relationship between body fat % and "health" or "healthy", especially not without defining what health is in this instance. It's more like a bell curve.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Good to hear sbhikes, Martin Berkhan, the Leangain guy, used to work as a model though, does he come under your definition of a "fitness model type"?

berkhan.jpg

Martin seem to be almost too lean on this photo, so I hope his mind is still intact...
    Can't see your photo, but I'm assuming it is from his modeling days? He says he looks 'semi-anorexic' himself (I don't know that I'd say that). Anyway my point is that it sounds like, in order to look that way, he was a "fitness model type." My guess is that more people probably find that look attractive than his current look... at least when he's flexing. His muscles are crazy.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    When I was younger I dieted down to 108lbs and had no period for a year. I was not ripped by any means. It is probably not genetically possible for me. Nowadays I'm lifting heavy weights and I'm growing out of my clothes. I seem to be one of those people who may be blessed with the ability to put on muscle, but cursed with a relative inability to take off fat. I have no illusion that becoming "ripped" would be anything but a severe and damaging thing for me to do.

What all these ripped men had to do, I do not know. I've been hanging out in some of their forums (god it's been so boring at work) and a lot of them sound like crazy women with the shit they believe in. I have no idea who Martin anybody is, what they actually did to get where they are or what, but anybody who comes here and asks if getting ripped is even healthy probably can't get ripped simply by being healthy in which case the answer is that it probably isn't healthy.

I think that Mark (Sisson) has done a relative disservice with a lot of his success stories showing women in their 50s with 6-pack abs and people whose fat just "melts" right off to a perfect 6-pack. I'm sorry but it doesn't happen for a large number of us. For men, it's not even necessary for health. It's purely for vanity.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm supposedly (according to body measurement calculations) around 26%
    Not that I put alot of stock in my Wii, but I found it interesting this morning when it told me that my ideal is 22% (129lbs). I am guessing that is some kind of average? But it is nice to know as when ppl ask me what my goal is, I really didnt have one. I just hoped I would know it when I got there. Some ppl have jean size, some have a weight, some have BF%. I have no clue. I remember when I was a gym rat I was 127lbs but have no idea what my BF% was. 9 years prior to that I was 118 and I dont know my jean size or BF either, so I didnt even know what to shoot for.

So anyways, I found that link very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast