Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is "Getting Ripped" Even Healthy? page 2

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've met some very strong women who've done competitions at very low body fat, but competitors only stay at that level for a short time period. I don't think a very lean woman is weak, necessarily, just that it's quite difficult for most women to maintain ultra-low body fat for an extended time period.

There's a big difference between a super-skinny runway model with 15% bodyfat and a fitness model at the same percentage.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure whether it is or not but I'd be happy to try it.
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Um, no, a lot of women stop menstruating at 15% or lower. Most women find body fat below 18-20% is unsustainable (there are outliers of course, like with everything). 15% is competition levels of fat for female fitness models. Many athletic women sit at about 20%.
    I still not think it is unhealthy for a woman to be between 14 - 16 % bodyfat, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that I prefer them that lean for esthetically reasons! But whether a woman is healthy or not at 14 – 16 % of bodyfat cannot be determined on looking to bodyfat level alone. And it is also true that some woman may lose menstruation at that level, or even higher, especially when dieting down to fast, but still no reason to claim a priori that a very lean female body is unhealthy or "weak."

Here some bodyfat levels for female athletes:

Body Fat Percentage | Low, Healthy and High Levels of Body Fat

oxide is offline Senior Member
    A Victoria's Secret model is about 20% body fat. IMO anything less is cruel. (I don't think the poster meant to be cruel, he just isn't familiar with the %.)

While I make a big noise about Mark's SIX PACK, honestly, as a women, I don't need to see individual abs to be turned on by a man. If anything, I find a smoother appearance most attractive. (btw, giant pecs and side muscles are a turnoff too.) Also, if the guy is musclebound and too six-packy, it says that he's more interested in quality time with the bench press than with a woman.

The main reason I mention Mark's SIX PACK is to show the effectiveness of the Primal comapared to SAD.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Body Fat Percentage Pictures of Men & Women

Of these pictures, 15-25% on the men looks fine to me. I think my man is probably between 25 and 30%. What I'm saying is that you don't have to be ripped to get a woman.

I'm not sure the pictures of women on that page are accurate. I'm supposedly (according to body measurement calculations) around 26% but I think I look closest to their 35% picture, although not quite as good as that since I don't have that hourglass shape. Not that it matters that much.

There are fitness model types who have really low body fat but if you ask me they are all messed up inside, in their adrenals and whatnot and also in their minds. Then there are the strong women who might be higher than 20% but they can fling around hundreds of pounds over their heads no problemo. That's what I would rather be.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    A Victoria's Secret model is about 20% body fat. IMO anything less is cruel. (I don't think the poster meant to be cruel, he just isn't familiar with the %.)

While I make a big noise about Mark's SIX PACK, honestly, as a women, I don't need to see individual abs to be turned on by a man. If anything, I find a smoother appearance most attractive. (btw, giant pecs and side muscles are a turnoff too.) Also, if the guy is musclebound and too six-packy, it says that he's more interested in quality time with the bench press than with a woman.

The main reason I mention Mark's SIX PACK is to show the effectiveness of the Primal comapared to SAD.
    Haha, way to give us skinny, short dudes a thread of hope to cling to.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    There are fitness model types who have really low body fat but if you ask me they are all messed up inside, in their adrenals and whatnot and also in their minds.
    What, all of them??? What about Mark Sisson or Martin Berkham??? How can you judge the mind of a person only on bodyfat persentage???

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm saying that fitness models are messed up. Not Mark. He's not a fitness model.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Well, it always depends upon the individual body foremost, and then after that, sex has an aspect of it too. Some body types are naturally leaner than others (men and women), but we also know that there is a point when women loose their fertility by being too lean, which is unhealthy for those women. That point will vary based on the individual, constitution, etc.

But, being lean in general -- while still maintaining other markers of health -- is healthy, yes.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    I still not think it is unhealthy for a woman to be between 14 - 16 % bodyfat, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that I prefer them that lean for esthetically reasons! But whether a woman is healthy or not at 14 – 16 % of bodyfat cannot be determined on looking to bodyfat level alone. And it is also true that some woman may lose menstruation at that level, or even higher, especially when dieting down to fast, but still no reason to claim a priori that a very lean female body is unhealthy or "weak."

Here some bodyfat levels for female athletes:

Body Fat Percentage | Low, Healthy and High Levels of Body Fat
    I never said they were weak. I said it's very difficult to sustain and often leads to women losing menstruation (which is very common for female athletes at higher levels--see for example: Health Issues for Women Athletes: Exercise- Induced Amenorrhea --I can find more journal articles if you'd like).

If you read down the article you linked, the author notes the real risk of amenorrhea for women whose body fat drops too low and the long term health consequences, which are more severe than simply not menstruating. I think that some women may be able to sustain body fat below 15% and still be healthy, but for many women, that's just not reasonable and takes very unhealthy behaviours to achieve and sustain.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast