Thread: Adrenal fatigue on a budget page

Adrenal fatigue on a budget

After a serious of stressful events (death in family, job changes, more death, more job changes) in the past six months - - - I just can't seem to recover. I'm tired all the time, and come down with every little bug that wanders by. I've been eating Primally for almost a full year, and I have seen dramatic improvements in my allergies, my sleep, my hair, my skin, my digestion . . . but I'm still not experiencing the Primal Health everyone else seems to have.

I've come to the conclusion that it might be adrenal fatigue. I was hoping I could find something else to blame, because everything I read about adrenal fatigue recovery seems to end with a recommendation to that $200 worth of supplements every month until you feel peppy again. I simply don't have that kind of money.

So I ask you all for help. Within a budget of $50 a month for supplements, what are the most affordable suggestions you have for recovering from adrenal fatigue?

P.S. Average daily food is omelette and bacon with coffee for breakfast. A meat and a veggie at lunch. Dark chocolate (85%) for a snack. Almond butter if I get hungry at my desk. Dinner is a stiry fry of meat and veggies or a knife and fork meal of meat and veggies. I try to squeeze in extra carbs on days I work out, in the form of yams or a piece of fruit. I work out twice a week in the form of fencing practice. I would like to exercise primally but in the past four months I've been too tired and unmotivated. I take a multi-vitamin in the morning, a magnesium supplement at night, and when I remember to, fish oil capsules and probiotics.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Why in the hell do you drink coffee if you think you have adrenal fatigue

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I've done a ton of reading on adrenal fatigue over the years, and everything I've read pretty much just says that the adrenals will recover and heal if you treat them (meaning yourself) really well, which means: no caffeine/stimulants/alcohol, good quality food, plenty of sleep and downtime, overall spending time being happy and doing things you enjoy, having a positive attitude and not being stressed.

A book I read recently (I took it out of the library, so it might be available at yours) is;

Amazon.com: Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome (9781890572150): James Wilson, Jonathan V. Wright: Books

It pretty much says to do what I mentioned, but you might find it helpful. There weren't tons and tons of supplements suggested; the main two were vitamin C and E, I think.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    I will second the recommendation for the Adrenal Fatigue book. I used his herbal tincture with good results a couple years ago. That said, if you could possibly scrape together the money to find a really reputable ND and/or L.Ac (classically trained would be awesome, strong herbalist at minimum), they'd get you on a better path. If you do this yourself, I promise you'll end up spending some cash figuring out what is best for you. If you have acupuncture coverage, it would be within your $50 a month for individualized treatment.

If you don't, Gaia Herbs professional solutions has a good herbal supplement, as does Wise Woman Herbals.

What kind of multi are you on? I had good results with Core Level Health Reserve, as a multi that supported adrenal/metabolic function. Magnesium chelated definitely.

With supplements, you (mostly) get what you pay for. It might cost $5 more but will save you money and time in the long run.

Important: Ditch the coffee, go to bed before 11, sleep as much as possible, stay away from sugar, do not over exercise, meditation is great to calm your nervous system. Use lots of broth and up your safe carbs to daily, instead of just after workouts.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, I remember that book mentioned it was important to go to sleep by 11 pm, and that the most restorative time to be asleep was between 7-9am, so even if it was only on the weekend, you should make it a priority to stay in bed and try to sleep until 9am.

There were also a few 'home' tests you could do to see if you had adrenal issues (in addition to getting your cortisol levels checked by a lab, which you could order online for around $100 or less). The one test I remember was using a blood pressure machine (I bought one at the pharmacy for $30), take your BP while lying down (make sure you've been lying down for at least 10 minutes). Then take your BP immediately after standing. In a normal person, BP should go up by about 10 points after standing. In a person with low adrenals, the BP will go down, instead.