Thread: I thought it was going to go primal ... page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

I thought it was going to go primal ...

Primal Fuel
    This was on the train this evening.

There was a Touretter on it. He was tapping the doors and people's luggage. Every now and then he'd snake out a hand as if he were going to touch another passenger and then pull it back just in time. Now and then he'd let off a hoot.

Everyone was ignoring him, but I was wondering how long that was going to go on for.

Then he went bit further. There was a guy sitting there peacefully ignoring him like everyone else was -- a black guy who was built like a brick outhouse, and the Touretter leans across and taps him on the nose. I mean ... why not look for the biggest person in the carriage and try to annoy him? Fortunately, this man obviously concluded he couldn't help it and just ignored it.

I wonder if a paleo diet, or ketosis, or some kind of dietary intervention can do anything for Tourettes. I don't know how some of these people stay in one piece.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hey Lewis!

I can't speak to Tourettes, but I can tell you this: I have a daughter with several neurological disorders, and here is how the diet thing went...

Got the gluten out at age 4, and her eyes stopped rolling around in her head

Got the sugars, beans/legumes, and all other grains out at age 6 according to the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet), and her chronic diarrhea and swamp-gas-butt stopped and she was finally able to potty train a year later

Started supplementing with high-dose DHA a couple of years later and noticed coordination and speech improvements actually trackable by her long-term therapists - lost those "extra" gains each time the supplements stopped, though

Got the fatty acid thing changed around a la' Primal (low o-6, higher 0-3) this year and have noticed huge speech improvements and a major diminishment of the ADHD thing (she doesn't actually have a formal diagnosis of ADHD, but all of her various difficulties have an attention-impulsivity component and taken together they are effectively ADHD. If you were to read all of her various school and medical reports you would see these types of problems from day 1)

Summary: diet helps - a lot. Getting a special-needs/handicapped kid into the proper therapy helps a lot, too - I consider DIET and THERAPY to be the one-two combo that gets a lot of these kids into a better place. Diet isn't a miracle cure, but with a complicated kid like mine, she and I will take each and every help we can get.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Swamp-gas-butt. That cracked me up!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I am on the autistic spectrum and I can't say that primal has been a "magical bullet" for me or anything, unfortunately, but I do notice that I feel a bit better overall, so I consider that a win.

Having worked with people who have severe developmental disabilities in the past, I can say that I am completely shocked that everyone was so understanding. One of the biggest hurdles we face as a society is learning to accept that not everybody functions the same way or the ways that we would like them to. I wish more people could realize this and be accepting of the differences including in how our very minds function.

I will echo the sentiment that dietary interventions can make a noticeable difference for a lot of people with various neurological disorders, but, as in my case, they won't just magically solve every issue that a person may face. There are still going to be a lot of problems that need to be addressed beyond what a healthy diet can correct.

In fact, I think more than "primal" being a magic bullet for neurological disorders, I think a lot of it stems from the fact that a lot of children and even adults with developmental disabilities have remarkably piss-poor diets to begin with. Those who are eating healthy and clean like we are must have good role models teaching them proper dietary decisions and lifestyle choices. A lot of these children aren't even capable of making their own dietary decisions because if left to their own devices, they would be downing tubs of ice cream and cookies contantly (it tastes yummy so it must be good for me, right?). They require extra guidance and instruction on how to eat healthfully and properly, perhaps for some, even constant supervision. The effect that good role models can have on someone who has a developmental disability is surprisingly ignored as a factor for why these children might be doing much better than others who are eating a poor SAD diet rich in grains, sugar, fast food ect, because their parents and caretakers obviously do not take the effort to think about their child's needs in the way they should.

Put in the effort, see the benefits. Don't put in the effort, don't see the benefits.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 12-11-2012 at 08:03 PM.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, my friends daughter has mild tourette's and it has significantly decreased on the GAPS diet.