Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Adventures of Matt page

matthewjamesr is offline Junior Member

Wink Primal Adventures of Matt

Primal Fuel
    My name is Matt and I hope this is the start of a long, healthy relationship with Primal living and MDA.

I started reading the Primal Blueprint about a year and a half ago. I tried to ease into it at the time but I was in the middle of a very demanding MBA program and did not have time to be fully committed. It has been a few months since I have graduated and I am now ready to fully commit to it. One of the primary catalysts for this renewed committment was I learned that one of my favorite teachers in the MBA program just passed away at age 57. He was a great teacher and he left behind a wife and two children. When I heard this tragic news, I resolved to improve my health so I could live a long, happy life.

I officially kicked off my Primal adventure on 12/3/12. I weighed in at 250 lbs at a height 5'10" and barely fitting into my size 38 pants. So far, I have been doing great. In fact, I have really started to enjoy cooking! I purchased one of the Primal Blueprint cookbooks and have been trying out some recipes from there. I made a delicious pot roast last night with grass fed beef. This is coming from a guy that considered In-N-Out burger gourmet dining! In fact, I have not been eating out at all. Over the weekend, I went out to a farmer's market and picked up some produce. It feels so great to eat real food.

Here is what I ate yesterday:

B: Omelette with bacon, mushroom, onion, spinach, tomato.

L: Kale salad with mushroom, avocado, tomato and olive oil.

D: Pot roast (grass fed beef) with onion and tomato.

I weighed in yesterday at 244 for a loss of 6 lbs. I also noticed that my pants are fitting more comfortably around the waist. Plus, my mood has been a lot better. I have always dealt with some mild depression, especially around this time of year. However, this past week I have felt tremendous. In terms of exercise, I am trying to do a lot of walking with my dog. Not surprisingly, she is very happy with the increased activity!

Anyway, it has been a good first week and I'm looking forward to the journey ahead. I hope to add more play and exercise elements to my plan as I go.

Weight goal: 190 lbs.

That's all for now!
    Last edited by matthewjamesr; 12-11-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Siobhan is online now Senior Member
    Good luck to you, Matt! I have found that keeping a journal here is tremendously motivating and has been a major reason why I reached my goal. Food journaling can be really motivating also; have you checked out Paleotrack.com?
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Thanks! Congrats on reaching your goal.

I'll check out paleotrack. I played around with fitday.com. Is it similar to that?

I believe I am in ketosis as I have that strange breath going on. But, I actually kind of like it. For some reason, it reminds me of bacon. The best part is that my girlfriend hasn't complained!

Although I've been trying to eat in and cook, yesterday my dad took me out to a Chinese buffet. Lucky for me they had a Mongolian BBQ in there too. Seems like Mongolian BBQ is pretty solidly Primal. Although, I'm not too sure about some of the sauces (which I skipped). I also found some nice beef ribs and bok choy at the buffet part to round out my meal.

Another thing I've noticed is that I am sleeping all the way through the night now. Then, when I do wake up, I feel actually awake and do not want to hit the snooze 15 times.

I just bought the new sauces cookbook. I think it will come in handy when I want to spice up some of the staples of Primal eating. It was also pretty cool that I got $10 gift certificate and the audio book of the Primal Blueprint. I used the gift certificate to help buy the Primal Blueprint poster. Not a bad deal if you ask me! Thanks Mark!

I've made the three sauces Mark posted a few days ago and they are great. I hope the book contains a few more that are just as good!

Paleotrack is a lot like fitday, but it is more specific to primal eating. You get a cool multicolored graph with your macros and it doesn't freak out about fat.

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

And yeah, sleeping well is another great side effect of being primal. Enjoy!

Which sauces did you make?

I tried paleotrack today. Thanks for the recommendation! I think I will use it over fitday. I like the fact it is paleo-oriented.

Measured my blood pressure today, 120/85 and 73 resting heart rate. Seems about normal. I wish I had done so before I started this to see the difference after a week and a half.

I'm still feeling good, in ketosis. I feel much more "even" and without the energy swings.

Anyhoo, I'm out to take the pup out for a walk!

Still going strong! I haven't had any cravings for any non-primal food. I'm down 8lbs from my starting weight now in a little under two weeks.

I skipped lunch today. I'm not feeling overly hungry or anything yet. We'll see how I'm feeling come dinner time.

PrimalCon New York
    You are doing great! You probably are in ketosis, and it will eventually disappear as your body learns to use the ketones. The brain particularly likes to consume ketones! It's all good.

I made the oregano mint marinade, the roasted red pepper sauce, and the pesto dressing. All are good, particularly the last two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast