Thread: A counterintuitive thought for athletes living primal. page

tforbes2 is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb A counterintuitive thought for athletes living primal.

Primal Fuel
    Hi Everyone! This is my first post and I am really looking forward to what everyone thinks. I am a division 1 baseball player and I have been living primal for about 4 months now. My body has never felt better. I don't get sick, I recover from minor injuries, I feel very lean and light on my feet, etc.. I am 5'10 and 4 months ago I weighed in around 195 pounds (around 14% BF). I weighed myself yesterday and was down to 170 lbs. I was no where over weight before, but after cutting out all grains and dairy the weight and fat just started to melt off of me. I know this is where my body should be, and once I am done playing baseball I most definitely will be. But for the mean time, in terms of competing as a division 1 athlete, and this may seem very counterintuitive, but how do I GAIN weight living primal? Having that extra weight gave me extra power in my swing and as I went about my game. I did not have any problem shedding the pounds living primal but now how do I go about gaining weight while still being committed to my long term health. Thanks everyone! I really appreciate you all taking the time!

Travis

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    eat more? for starters, make sure you are eating adequate protein and fat. then add carbs. i mean, primal/paleo isn't low carb. so crank up the carbs. plenty of potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruit, white rice, etc. as long as you are active (it isn't baseball season) this caloric surplus should be exactly what you need to slowly put some muscle on

i think a lot of people struggle with this idea that paleo/primal is a "diet" for weight loss. it really isn't. its about optimizing health. so by eliminating those nasty things, you were eliminating the extra calories you were consuming. thats about 90% of why you lost weight. if not more. you need to replace those calories with more of the good stuff, lift some weights, and add some of that lean muscle mass now. some people like to start with a 500 calorie a day surplus in order to add mass. then they fine tune that number depending on how much fat they are gaining. if you're adding too much fat too quickly, then eat an extra 300 calories a day. if you 're not adding fat, try 600-700 calories a day.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

peril is offline Senior Member
    Lift heavy
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine