Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottom of feet pain... page

leif3141 is offline Junior Member

Bottom of feet pain...

Shop Now
    Hi there. Got a question about pain on the bottom of my feet, but first a little history and why I think it is something called Plantar fasciitis. Used to be an avid long distance runner and throughout my life have always been wearing "supportive" shoes when doing so and in just daily life. Sorta got off the distance running phase and mostly weight training over the last couple of years. My weight has bounced around all the time, but since I have stopped long distance running and focused more on strength, I have gone from weighing 170 to about 220 (some fat along with that, ain't gonna lie, I definitely don't live perfectly primal). I also have a job now that requires me to stand on my feet A LOT of the time, especially when busy. Also after being on the website a lot, I started to do a lot more "play" cardio (walking and running with the dog, hiking, etc). After working the job I started to have lots of pains on the bottoms of my feet. It kept getting worse and worse so I started to try and take action (it hurts really bad first thing in the morns, which is why I think its Plantar fasciitis). I switched to LESS supportive soles of shoes when doing most things (barefoot shoes) and at work, bought slippers that kind of look like shoes. This seemed to be better than hard soles on shoes, but didn't fully alleviate pain. So I bought some foot pads for my slipper/shoes, and some floor pads as well for where I am standing. Once again, this helped, but on days I go on a long walk or hike or when its really busy at work (which requires me to stand all day), I still have the problems. So I am needing even more action...which is why I am here!

I bought a couple of foot massaging items (a porcupine ball and a foot roller). I PLAN on dropping some weight (I'm gonna do some weight circuit training instead of standard "let's see how much I can lift in 5 reps", with my normal play cardio, and of course try to cut out more sugars and starches). I was just wondering if anyone here had any more advice? Anywhere I google just says to wear really supportive shoes...and that's the last thing I wanna do cause when you do that, you're pretty much stuck wearing them forever. Barefoot shoes are pretty much what drew me to this website. Also, various website says "Stretches" for Plantar fasciitis, but give no details on what stretches are good.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    you can lay a thin towel on the floor and curl your toes to do a pick up motion. Do this 3 sets of 12 repetitions twice a day and you should see an improvement on the tightness/pain you feel. You can also roll a tennis ball in that area.

I should not need to mention that you should avoid wearing high heels as much as possible or anything that tends to elevate your foot.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    I should not need to mention that you should avoid wearing high heels as much as possible...
    Judging by the name Leif, this is probably some 6' 4" Icelander with a beard who throws boulders for a hobby you're talking to here. LOL.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking the exact same thing.

Leif, my sister had this problem REALLY BAD. So much that she couldn't barely
    walk.

She found some website that showed her how to DUCT TAPE her foot, or arch or
    whatever part of the foot, so she did, and she said it was like MAGIC.

Foot pain completely disappeared, and after a week of using the duct tape, she
    took it off and has been pain free since.

WEIRD, but it worked.

Maybe you can search around and try to find it.

Julie

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Go to a podiatrist, they can give you a definative diagnosis and they can show you how to strap your foot using tape as Insearchofabs said.

Go back to wearing fully supportive shoes all the time, even at home when you are just sitting around.

Fill a large soft drink bottle with water and put this in the freezer. Pull this out and roll your foot on it at least a couple of times a day. Remember if it is plantar faciitus this is inflammation so treat with ice and anti-inflammatories.

Before you get out of bed each morning take time to strech you foot - some gentle rocking back and forward should do the trick. Its the stiffness that makes it impossible to walk without extreme pain in the morning or after sitting for some time.

Rest - stop running and walking for exercise until the foot is better.

lopeolinda is offline Junior Member
    She found some website that showed her how to DUCT TAPE her foot

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Judging by the name Leif, this is probably some 6' 4" Icelander with a beard who throws boulders for a hobby you're talking to here. LOL.
    I didn't even look at the name but you never know

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Wear flexible shoes. Go with slippers or barefoot in the home. Stiff shoes will aggravate the problem. Calf raises with a barbell on your back will also help strengthen the facia muscles. Good luck.

poundslly is offline Banned
    yeah, good info to me, Go with slippers or barefoot in the home. Stiff shoes will aggravate the problem.

leif3141 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for the replies everybody. You have given me a lot to ponder. There is no danger of me going to supportive shoes all my life cause well, I hate them. LOL. I hadn't heard of the duct tape solution so I will go look that up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast