Thread: Narcolepsy - can Primal help? page

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member

Narcolepsy - can Primal help?

Primal Fuel
    It is increasingly looking as though my daughter has narcolepsy, and she has just been put on some pretty nasty medication for it (Modafinil). I know that there has been at least one study (Dr A M Husain - Diet Therapy for Narcolepsy, 2004) that shows a LCHF diet is helpful for narcolepsy, but was wondering whether anyone knew of any other studies that might offer additional information. My daughter is adamant that diet won't play a part but, as a putative medical student, she might listen/heed some medical studies. Personally, I am sure it would not hurt and would probably benefit her, but I know it would be difficult for her at boarding school ...

Many thanks in advance!

Paleobird Guest
    I realize that epilepsy and narcolepsy are not the same thing but they are similar. Epilepsy is something I have researched very thoroughly because I have it.

Some of the best info I have found is coming out of Johns Hopkins. (A reputable medical institution. Not something that can be dismissed as some fringe internet pseudo-sci junk.) Goggle them + ketosis and you will find all kinds of stuff about their work on treating neurological disorders with diet.

I have been able to cut my dose of those nasty meds by 25% while maintaing total control of my seizures.

I wish you and your daughter well.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Histamine may play an important role. One of my cousins has extreme narcolepsy and there are symptoms of histimine dysregulation on that side of the family.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you both so much! I have printed out several papers for further reading (and for showing to my daughter), and have ordered the book Ketogenic Diets: Treatment for Epilepsy and Other Disorders (written by four John Hopkins doctors), and hope this will help. I will also do research on the histamine dysregulation side of life! I really am very grateful indeed, as this gives her a credible starting point for some research which she should find more difficult to dismiss than "Mummy's just going on about diet ...." (because, at 17, she knows I know nothing ).

We are only now waiting for the Sleep Clinic appointments, but her neurologist seems to think that narcolepsy is pretty much a given with the symptoms she's experiencing.

Thank you both very much again!