Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuts and seeds...

Hybrid View

Nuts and seeds...

Nuts and seeds are my downfall, potentially at least.
    After stocking up on macadamia & walnuts, sunflower seeds and pine nuts I sat down last night and pretty much scoffed the lot. Must've been a zillion kcals, up in smoke.
    I'm going to stop buying them as I have pretty much zero self control. Once the pack is opened they're as good as gone.
    I think it's going to be simpler to break the snacking habit - just cut out in-between-meal snacks altogether.

I decreased carbs and increased fats at mealtimes which seemed, for me, to get rid of the need to snack. With it came a dramatic reduction of the amount of nuts I ate, and surprise surprise, weightloss started again.

I'm a bit the same with nuts so tend to only buy them if I'm cooking something that specifically calls for nuts -then I buy the pack that is closes in weight to what I need for the recipe. Once I get my bodyfat to where I want it to be, I can start eating a few nuts here and there, but until then.....

Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    I decreased carbs and increased fats at mealtimes which seemed, for me, to get rid of the need to snack. With it came a dramatic reduction of the amount of nuts I ate, and surprise surprise, weightloss started again.
    +1. Same happened to me. I no longer buy them now and just have two big meals a day, no snacking. I'm getting close to target weight, after which I guess I'll reintroduce them but they are so easy to overeat indeed.

Nuts are tough for me to keep a handle on as well.
    I try to stick to limiting them to condiments, like including a handfull on an salad, or mixing them in with certain dishes, ect...

Raw nuts are not a problem for me, they're fairly bland. Roasted and salted, however, is so easy to overdo. I can pack away half a pound of salted almonds before I know it. I never have cravings for nuts, though.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

I leave the pack in the cupboard and just grab a handful. I also have little tupperware boxes for small portions.

Treat of the week is a bag of salted pistachios, I allow myself a small bag when I am watching a film. Just the one, though!

When I first tried primal eating, I ate nuts, seed and dried fruit as a sort of muesli. I didn't lose weight. Then I started counting calories. Breakfast is now a two egg omelette with either mushrooms or spinach fried in coconut oil. Half the calories of my muesli. Now that I have lost 56lbs, I will have a handful of nuts with a cup of green tea for supper as a treat.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

I have a whole bag of walnuts in my fridge and rarely consume it. I might put it in a salad but other than that I find it kind of boring to eat.

I could eat a full plate of macadamias as a meal and be the happiest person on earth. When I buy nuts I just take a small handful out of the bag and eat that. I don't eat FROM the bag, which may have you eating more than you want. I get my serving of nuts and then head somewhere to eat. After I'm done eating them I forget about it.

I find nuts to be a great way to head off a bad snack attack - but it is merely changing the quality of the snack, not keeping me from the caloric consequences.

As I've been working better/more food into my meals, I find less desire to snack. The nuts are lasting longer around here.