Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibrams & Triathlon page

Scrogs is offline Junior Member

Vibrams & Triathlon

Just wondering if anyone has experience or advice on wearing Vibrams while racing in triathlon. I am aiming to compete in a sprint distance Tri this year. Have no experience! Don't even have a proper bike yet. Will be buying a road bike soon and thinking about pedals. Started thinking that if I get hooked on running in Vibrams during training it may be awkward to go to cushioned shoes for the race. Then again not sure how practical the Vibrams would be in terms of transitioning etc. or if practical to use while on the bike.

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    I don't see a problem with it. Train and race in the Vibrams. I bet they will work great for all three legs. I've swam, biked and ran in mine (just not all in a row). Just be the outcast and skip the clip in pedals. Just be careful your feet don't slip and rip up your shin. I'd wet the Vibrams and test their grip, first.

JStrick is offline Senior Member
    zoe do you have issues with the teeth on the pedal(the things that grip the sole) puncturing the sole or hurting your feet any?

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    Nope. The Vibrams are plenty thick (and they are puncture resistant). It might depend on the petal, though...

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrogs View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has experience or advice on wearing Vibrams while racing in triathlon. I am aiming to compete in a sprint distance Tri this year. Have no experience! Don't even have a proper bike yet. Will be buying a road bike soon and thinking about pedals. Started thinking that if I get hooked on running in Vibrams during training it may be awkward to go to cushioned shoes for the race. Then again not sure how practical the Vibrams would be in terms of transitioning etc. or if practical to use while on the bike.
    I like Vibrams but wouldn't wear them in a triathlon as they have no cleats. They're also too wide for a pedal and kind of work on the exact opposite premise - you should run with your heels up and you should pedal with your heels down. You'd lose the whole transfer of power concept while pedaling in vibrams - which is fine for a casual ride but isn't conducive to timed rides. You'll lose more time cycling in Vibrams than you will transitioning into them in the corral. Ride with a clipless shoe, run with a Vibram.

Go-Pre is offline Member
    Unless shoes become totally awkward for you, I am not sure of the point? It's one thing to train your legs using Vibrams and do the Primal thing, but unless they're going to make you faster during the race (who am I to judge), one day in flats (w/a little less impact, even though the distance is short) isn't going to be a negative. If you are in it for the fun of it, that's a whole different story. I'm sure it would be worth doing just for the many great conversations you'd have at the race! Good luck!

Stu
    Stu is offline Member
    I am planning on doing my first sprint triatholon this summer, and hope to do it with my vibrams. I havent decided yet if I will wear them for all three legs. But I have gotten pretty good at getting them on, so i cant forsee losing much time in transition anyways/

DidNothingFatal is offline Senior Member
    I rode my fixed gear bike in a pair of VFFs and they were pretty lousy, but if you are serious about doing the event in them I can recommend this product, Powergrips, not as good as cleated shoes but better than old school cages ime.
    Give them nothing! But, take from them everything!

Scrogs is offline Junior Member
    Thanks All. I appreciate all the input. I think I'll probably get the clip in pedals, but aim to use the Vibrams for the run portion. I am able to get them on pretty quick.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I'll have to agree, I've only worn my VFF's once while biking and I hated it. Love them for running and playing but didn't feel "safe" on the bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast