Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on how to undo a carb binge? page

U2sandrah is offline Senior Member

Suggestions on how to undo a carb binge?

Shop Now
    Hey there!
    Any advice on how to get back on the saddle?
    Ive been semi primal for some weeks now, with the occassional cheat but on a good track, and was starting to feel a change in my body comp.
    A couple of days ago i made the mistake to indulge a sudden oatmeal cookie craving walking past a Starbuck. Something i havent done for weeks now!
    However, after just two small innocent cookies, seems that the flood gates have opened and i must find a way to undo de damage... i am getting such huge carb cravings, and getting really anxious if i do not indulging them.
    All suggestions are welcome!
    "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Anytime those card cravings hit, go for something Primal. Think to yourself what sounds better ... an oatmeal cookie or some bacon? Primal snacks are also key too ... some Pork Rinds are always my go to snack when I get carb crazy. The crunch is just so satisfying.

If none of those appeal to you, perhaps a fast is in order. Clear the system and just let things return to normal.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

U2sandrah is offline Senior Member
    yeah i hear you! ill try to always have in my purse some primal snack options, after stocking up the next step is going to be: willpower!!

another question: how does one excercise willpower? train the mind to avoid the addictive carb indulgence?
    "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by U2sandrah View Post
    yeah i hear you! ill try to always have in my purse some primal snack options, after stocking up the next step is going to be: willpower!!

another question: how does one excercise willpower? train the mind to avoid the addictive carb indulgence?
    Willpower is like a muscle in the body: you have to build it up, one thing at a time. Saying to yourself you'll never, ever, eat another oatmeal cookie again is setting yourself up for failure. Some days you're gonna go for that cookie ... that's okay.

What's important is that you don't do it every day. That you make it a weakness that doesn't cripple you for the most part. Take each choice as an opportunity to exercise willpower. Build it up slowly and allow for failure because you will fail. I've been at this Primal thing since last summer and I still have problems around certain foods controlling myself (cheesecake, cashews ... cheesecake-it's so damned good!).

As we speak I have an entire cheesecake platter sitting in my fridge, a friend of mine gifted it to me as leftovers from his office Christmas party. He knows I'm weak against it but he knows I'll never say no (oh, you should have seen the smirk). But I managed to allow myself one slice and stop there. That's a win in my book ... used to, I would just eat till I was stuffed when it came to cheesecake.

I recommend a similar approach to you. Just take it one battle at a time and know that the oatmeal cookies may win from time to time, but you're gonna win the war.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    Awesome advice, Trekfan.

And congratulations on your incredible success!

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    IMO I reckon the key to this is that you are, by your own admission 'semi primal'.

Go the whole hog. Make a commitment and become fully primal. You'll be surprised how, over time, those oatmeal cookies become unappealing.

As trekfan says, you're not saying never again, but the longer you eat clean, the more you become addicted to feeling great and the less you want to cheat. That's how it works for me, anyway.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Two days of fat fast (1,000 kcals, 90% fat, 10% protein, divided into five small 'meals', lots of water). Knocks cravings out.

When you're craving carbs, give yourself a different indulgence. I recently had a "get back in the saddle" experience, and have found that when I'm craving carbs, what I'm craving is something decadent. So a nice primal snack of boiled eggs really just leaves me feeling disappointed and wanting that bag of Dove Promises even more. Instead, when I'm feeling carb-noshey, I'll brew myself a cup of chai tea with a splash of coconut milk. Or I'll rub some really creamy, yummy-smelling lotion into my hands (which I carry with me in my purse in case of emergencies).

In the end, it's luxury I'm craving, not carbs. But when you're low-carbing it, carbs can become your idea of luxury. There's a whole world of non-carb luxury out there, and this is your chance to explore it!
    Last edited by Sasha the Cat; 12-11-2012 at 07:40 AM. Reason: typos, woo!

AmyP is offline Member
    Couple of things I have done that seem to help getting out of the "must stuff cookies in my face" place... Fast for a day, I do dinner one night to dinner the next and it seems to help me stop, then follow that with telling myself "not right now" to the carby foods. Saying "not right now" helps me to know that yes, someday I can have a cookie..just not right now.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    I have a few different thoughts on this...

For me, personally, I don't have a horrible reaction to gluten/wheat/sugar/name-your-poison, so if I'm craving something junky, I'll eat a small portion (I am able to stop at an appropriate portion, some people are not - just be aware which category you fall into), and count it as part of my 20%... I don't do this often.
    If I can eat something primal that satisfies the craving, I'd rather do that. Someone pointed out that what you're likely craving is decadence...
    Some people just need to avoid the junk at all costs, either because they have a really bad reaction, can't stop at a small portion, or it causes them to downward-spiral. These are not good or bad things, they just are what they are, and I feel like a big part of this way of life is more self-awareness than your average bear... that applies here.

As for "undoing" a carb binge... it's kind of like a hangover, I suppose?
    If I ate a lot of junk one day, I'd probably do a higher-carb primal day (maybe even some rice/potatoes if you tolerate them) the next day, and taper back down to "normal."
    There are also good reasons just to cold-turkey back to "normal" - only you can know which method will work better for you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast