Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on how to undo a carb binge? page 2

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    This is all great advice. I really think you need to go whole hog on the Primal. (pun totally intended...)

The thing is that once you go all in, it's just so difficult to go back. You'll also learn your binge-triggers. For me, it's tiredness, rice, white potatoes, alcohol, and stevia. For many, it's fruit, or cheese, or nuts. Even a simple piece of fruit for breakfast can derail some Primals for the the rest of the day. Learn what triggers that stuff-my-face-NOW response and avoid those foods.

There will be days when you pop into Starbucks for a cookie, and that cookie won't be nearly as satisfying as you remembered it once being. And if you're like most of us, that cookie will put the hurt to you. Just remember how crappy you feel when you backslide, then weigh the consequences of the cookie versus how great you feel not eating the cookie. Sometimes it helps the really read the ingredients and visualize what each of those looks like raw. Yummy bag of flour, anyone? How about a nice cup of baking soda? Pass...
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

catholicchick is offline Senior Member
    I also did a "carb binge" this past week. Too much Christmas baking around me where I work. Found this from Fitness Wayne The Fastest Way to Get into Ketosis « Fitness Wayne Worth a shot to get back where you were.
    Height - 5'8"
    SW - 191
    CW - 162
    GW - 155

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    While not your oatmeal cookies... Caveman Bakery — Natural and Delicious Gluten-free, Grain Free, Dairy Free Cookies from the resources page on here.

What are the ingredients of Caveman Cookies?
    Original Caveman Cookies: honey, almond meal, walnuts, raisins, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon.
    Tropical Caveman Cookies: almond meal, honey, unsulfured coconut, macadamia nuts, ginger.
    Alpine Caveman Cookies: honey, hazelnut meal, almond meal, toasted ground carob.
    Rainforest Caveman Cookies: honey, almond meal, brazil nut meal, chopped almonds, dried cherries (cherries, sunflower oil), nutmeg, cayenne pepper.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

U2sandrah is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tapper47 View Post
    Awesome advice, Trekfan.

And congratulations on your incredible success!
    I echo this! Thanks for the advice Trekfan!
    "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha the Cat View Post
    When you're craving carbs, give yourself a different indulgence. I recently had a "get back in the saddle" experience, and have found that when I'm craving carbs, what I'm craving is something decadent. So a nice primal snack of boiled eggs really just leaves me feeling disappointed and wanting that bag of Dove Promises even more. Instead, when I'm feeling carb-noshey, I'll brew myself a cup of chai tea with a splash of coconut milk. Or I'll rub some really creamy, yummy-smelling lotion into my hands (which I carry with me in my purse in case of emergencies).

In the end, it's luxury I'm craving, not carbs. But when you're low-carbing it, carbs can become your idea of luxury. There's a whole world of non-carb luxury out there, and this is your chance to explore it!
    Very intresting Sasha! Will check this out and apply to myself...

Quote Originally Posted by AmyP View Post
    Couple of things I have done that seem to help getting out of the "must stuff cookies in my face" place... Fast for a day, I do dinner one night to dinner the next and it seems to help me stop, then follow that with telling myself "not right now" to the carby foods. Saying "not right now" helps me to know that yes, someday I can have a cookie..just not right now.
    "not right now"... sounds like a nice little mantra... will try it out! thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SophieScreams View Post
    This is all great advice. I really think you need to go whole hog on the Primal. (pun totally intended...)

The thing is that once you go all in, it's just so difficult to go back. You'll also learn your binge-triggers. For me, it's tiredness, rice, white potatoes, alcohol, and stevia. For many, it's fruit, or cheese, or nuts. Even a simple piece of fruit for breakfast can derail some Primals for the the rest of the day. Learn what triggers that stuff-my-face-NOW response and avoid those foods.

There will be days when you pop into Starbucks for a cookie, and that cookie won't be nearly as satisfying as you remembered it once being. And if you're like most of us, that cookie will put the hurt to you. Just remember how crappy you feel when you backslide, then weigh the consequences of the cookie versus how great you feel not eating the cookie. Sometimes it helps the really read the ingredients and visualize what each of those looks like raw. Yummy bag of flour, anyone? How about a nice cup of baking soda? Pass...
    Thanks Sophie! I am aiming to go back on "fully committed" mode. I am not the cold turkey kinda gal, so fasting and doing radical things, just leaves me in a horrible state of mind, so I am easing into my old self, maybe not whole hog primal as many of your guys are, but in my 80/20 comfort zone, and once that is sustainable, then Ill go to the original plan: 90/10.

I will follow all the good advice here, this is an amazing forum and feel so supported!

Thanks a million to all of you guys!!!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Strict fast for three days, until you hit ketosis. Then resume primal eating.

Gets the crap out of your body, eliminates any weight gained, and will do wonders to release any bloating from water weight.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If its late at night and you want to nosh, just brush your teeth, rinse with mouthwash for as long as you can stand, and go to bed. Nothing tastes good washed down with Listerine.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just read someone's interesting experience(naturally, cannot remember where!) of getting into ketosis QUICKLY by exercising moderately for about an hour while fasting for one day, to burn through any excess glycogen. Worth a shot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast