Thread: Anyone in ketosis? page

Ann
    Ann is offline Junior Member

Anyone in ketosis?

I know primal isn't all about low carb, more healthy carb and no grains. I have big weight loss goals for 2013 and have cut my carbs way down to get things moving. I have been at 50 g of carbs or less a day for about 5 days and 100 g of carbs or less for a couple of weeks before that. I've lost 7 lbs since dropping below 100 g. I've read that being in ketosis can be uncomfortable but I feel fine and satisfied. I am eating my base metabolic rate in calories. Does anyone else have any keto tips or advice?

Paleobird Guest
    I live in ketosis and have for a long time. I've lost all 65 lbs that I wanted to lose and feel awesome. I choose to stay in ketosis because it helps me control my epilepsy on a lower dose of meds. But you don't have to have a medical condition to benefit from ketosis. Nor is it right for every body. It sounds like it's working for you.

If there are any specific questions I could help with I would be happy to.

otzi Guest
    I've been in ketosis, <25g carbs, for about 30 days now. Feeling great. I had pretty bad muscle soreness for first 7-10 days, now feeling fine. Did a weighted squat week last week, pullups this week. Numbers are the same as before, no loss of strength.

Not looking to lose weight, just wanted to experience a long stretch of ketosis in Winter. I've lost 2 or 3 lbs, though.

Typical breakfast: Bacon&eggs
    Typical lunch: Raw veggies, mostly mushrooms/peppers/cukes, canned oysters, sardines
    Typical dinner: Chicken, beef, or liver cooked with bacon; cheese, dark chocolate, almonds or mac nuts, sauerkraut or pickles

I plan to keep this up until Mid-Feb.

Ann
    Ann is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I live in ketosis and have for a long time. I've lost all 65 lbs that I wanted to lose and feel awesome. I choose to stay in ketosis because it helps me control my epilepsy on a lower dose of meds. But you don't have to have a medical condition to benefit from ketosis. Nor is it right for every body. It sounds like it's working for you.

If there are any specific questions I could help with I would be happy to.

What does ketosis feel like? I've been eating 50 or less carbs a day for a week straight now at least and I don't think I feel different. I was very thirsty all the time but hat seems to have gone away.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann View Post
    What does ketosis feel like? I've been eating 50 or less carbs a day for a week straight now at least and I don't think I feel different. I was very thirsty all the time but hat seems to have gone away.
    It takes AT LEAST two weeks to get fully there and you have to be consistent with it. Also keep an eye on your electrolytes as you are transitioning. Ketosis causes your body to flush out all that excess "water weight" but along with that flush (literally) goes a lot of things such as sodium, potassium and magnesium. I have found that mineral water is a good way to get some transitional supplementation.

When it happens, you will know. It's awesome.