Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions About Wine

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Questions About Wine

1.When considering the amount of carbohydrates consumed, which of the wines, red or white, would have the least carbs?

2.If I were to skip a meal, could I have an extra glass of wine for dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by Guerir View Post
    1.When considering the amount of carbohydrates consumed, which of the wines, red or white, would have the least carbs?

They have the same amount. Red is healthier.

You can do whatever you want.

It's not about red or white. It's about sweet or dry.

I was curious on the answers here, because the last couple of nights, I have had about 4 ounces of wine. I could fit it into my calories but seemed a bit carby. Then last night I read a post from Mark that said something about those carbs go straight to the liver and processed differently, or something? And maybe it is because it was a sweet wine that it was carby? It had 12.5g per 4 ounces. I think I also read, if your goal is weight loss, hold off on the wine?

I don't usually drink wine, so I won't start if I shouldn't but I thought it was one of those longevity things. Should I consider a supplement instead, at least until I am finished with weight loss? Thanks!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I was curious on the answers here, because the last couple of nights, I have had about 4 ounces of wine. I could fit it into my calories but seemed a bit carby. Then last night I read a post from Mark that said something about those carbs go straight to the liver and processed differently, or something? And maybe it is because it was a sweet wine that it was carby? It had 12.5g per 4 ounces. I think I also read, if your goal is weight loss, hold off on the wine?
    This is the rub. The alcohol gets bumped to the head of the line for processing by your liver because the body sees it as a toxin. So, while the liver is taking care of that, the other food you are taking in may be going into storage (i.e.your thighs) until the liver can get around to processing it.

So it's not just a matter of counting the carbs and calories and budgeting them in. Alcohol is a different beast entirely.

And this is coming from someone who used to love red wine. I've given it up except for rare indulgences.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This is the rub. The alcohol gets bumped to the head of the line for processing by your liver because the body sees it as a toxin. So, while the liver is taking care of that, the other food you are taking in may be going into storage (i.e.your thighs) until the liver can get around to processing it.

So it's not just a matter of counting the carbs and calories and budgeting them in. Alcohol is a different beast entirely.

And this is coming from someone who used to love red wine. I've given it up except for rare indulgences.
    If this is true I may have to forget about loosing my last bit of belly fat; I'm not sure I'm willing to give up my almost nightly glass of wine.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    If this is true I may have to forget about loosing my last bit of belly fat; I'm not sure I'm willing to give up my almost nightly glass of wine.
    It would be hard to give up where you are, living in some of the best wine growing country in the world.

It's 4 grams of carbs for a 5 oz glass of merlot, unless you're drinking a very sweet dessert wine like sherry. 4 grams. Don't stress it, have some wine.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    It's 4 grams of carbs for a 5 oz glass of merlot, unless you're drinking a very sweet dessert wine like sherry. 4 grams. Don't stress it, have some wine.
    Ah thanks. I will have to see what else I have then. This is a blackberry merlot and man was it good. But serving size of 8 oz has 25g, and so I only drank half. And 4 oz was about right for me.

Thanks!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

IMO this would be a dangerous habit to get into.

If you want to have a few drinks, then have a few drinks. But don't sacrifice eating properly.