Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions About Wine page

Guerir is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Questions About Wine

Shop Now
    1.When considering the amount of carbohydrates consumed, which of the wines, red or white, would have the least carbs?

2.If I were to skip a meal, could I have an extra glass of wine for dinner?

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerir View Post
    1.When considering the amount of carbohydrates consumed, which of the wines, red or white, would have the least carbs?

They have the same amount. Red is healthier.

You can do whatever you want.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    It's not about red or white. It's about sweet or dry.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I was curious on the answers here, because the last couple of nights, I have had about 4 ounces of wine. I could fit it into my calories but seemed a bit carby. Then last night I read a post from Mark that said something about those carbs go straight to the liver and processed differently, or something? And maybe it is because it was a sweet wine that it was carby? It had 12.5g per 4 ounces. I think I also read, if your goal is weight loss, hold off on the wine?

I don't usually drink wine, so I won't start if I shouldn't but I thought it was one of those longevity things. Should I consider a supplement instead, at least until I am finished with weight loss? Thanks!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    It's 4 grams of carbs for a 5 oz glass of merlot, unless you're drinking a very sweet dessert wine like sherry. 4 grams. Don't stress it, have some wine.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    It's 4 grams of carbs for a 5 oz glass of merlot, unless you're drinking a very sweet dessert wine like sherry. 4 grams. Don't stress it, have some wine.
    Ah thanks. I will have to see what else I have then. This is a blackberry merlot and man was it good. But serving size of 8 oz has 25g, and so I only drank half. And 4 oz was about right for me.

Thanks!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

zilog is offline Senior Member
    IMO this would be a dangerous habit to get into.

If you want to have a few drinks, then have a few drinks. But don't sacrifice eating properly.

GuitarGrok is offline Member
    I am not sure how accurate carb measurements in wine are since the sugars in the grapes are turned into alcohol, and once the sugars are all used up the yeast goes inactive, and settles to the bottom. I have heard that some of the assumptions about carbs from alcoholic drinks is based on the carb content of the ingredients that go into making the alcohol. I saw that in a low carb beer ad where they claimed you could have a full bottle of beer for the same carbs as about a 1/2 glass of wine.

I make my own wine, and have a glass with dinner every day. I know there are some carbs in wine, but I don't think it is much, the 4g number seems to come up pretty often.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I've read that it is the dryness of the wine that matters, and that Cabernet is the best choice if you are concerned with carb count.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    I count the calories and just account for it in my daily allowance as I am still losing weight. Carménère is the best grape for anti oxidants, followed by Cabernet Sauvignon. I know it's not too accurate but it's good enough to give me a good indication of calories consumed.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast