Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Questions About Wine page 2

  1. #11
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I was curious on the answers here, because the last couple of nights, I have had about 4 ounces of wine. I could fit it into my calories but seemed a bit carby. Then last night I read a post from Mark that said something about those carbs go straight to the liver and processed differently, or something? And maybe it is because it was a sweet wine that it was carby? It had 12.5g per 4 ounces. I think I also read, if your goal is weight loss, hold off on the wine?
    This is the rub. The alcohol gets bumped to the head of the line for processing by your liver because the body sees it as a toxin. So, while the liver is taking care of that, the other food you are taking in may be going into storage (i.e.your thighs) until the liver can get around to processing it.

    So it's not just a matter of counting the carbs and calories and budgeting them in. Alcohol is a different beast entirely.

    And this is coming from someone who used to love red wine. I've given it up except for rare indulgences.

  2. #12
    Urban Forager's Avatar
    Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This is the rub. The alcohol gets bumped to the head of the line for processing by your liver because the body sees it as a toxin. So, while the liver is taking care of that, the other food you are taking in may be going into storage (i.e.your thighs) until the liver can get around to processing it.

    So it's not just a matter of counting the carbs and calories and budgeting them in. Alcohol is a different beast entirely.

    And this is coming from someone who used to love red wine. I've given it up except for rare indulgences.
    If this is true I may have to forget about loosing my last bit of belly fat; I'm not sure I'm willing to give up my almost nightly glass of wine.

  3. #13
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    If this is true I may have to forget about loosing my last bit of belly fat; I'm not sure I'm willing to give up my almost nightly glass of wine.
    It would be hard to give up where you are, living in some of the best wine growing country in the world.

  4. #14
    canuck416's Avatar
    canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sebastopol, CA
    Posts
    1,207
    I usually have some organic dry red wine and dark chocolate most evenings with dinner. The rest of my diet is paleo/primal. It doesn't seem to have effected me negatively at this point as I have reached my weight loss and body fat percentage goals. I may try going without for a month to see if my body fat drops even further, but will probably wait until after the holiday season. However we are all different and what works for me doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else and much depends on what your Paleo goals are.

  5. #15
    gopintos's Avatar
    gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I usually have some organic dry red wine and dark chocolate most evenings with dinner. The rest of my diet is paleo/primal. It doesn't seem to have effected me negatively at this point as I have reached my weight loss and body fat percentage goals. I may try going without for a month to see if my body fat drops even further, but will probably wait until after the holiday season. However we are all different and what works for me doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else and much depends on what your Paleo goals are.
    I probably shouldnt start then, but I did have some red w/dark chocolate after dinner last night. Only 4 oz. of wine and 11g of chocolate. And I was already pretty tired, so I don't know if it helped with sleeping, but I slept like a baby. Until about 3a.m. (that is probably just like a baby also )
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

  6. #16
    Meghanner's Avatar
    Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    241
    If you're truly trying to lose weight...you shouldn't be drinking any wine at all. That being said, wine is meant to be enjoyed with a meal. It compliments food flavours and adds to overall enjoyment. Food is not the enemy here, enjoy it...with a glass of wine every now and again.

  7. #17
    Declan's Avatar
    Declan is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    5
    scientists found a substance in red wine, blueberries and interest fresh fruit that prevents premature fat cellsí ability to create and grow. Similar in framework the substance vaunted as the heart-healthy broker in red wine, it is also thought to help secure the body against cancer.

  8. #18
    canuck416's Avatar
    canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sebastopol, CA
    Posts
    1,207
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I probably shouldnt start then, but I did have some red w/dark chocolate after dinner last night. Only 4 oz. of wine and 11g of chocolate. And I was already pretty tired, so I don't know if it helped with sleeping, but I slept like a baby. Until about 3a.m. (that is probably just like a baby also )
    Having a bit of wine and dark chocolate several times a week will not harm your weight loss goals as long as your net daily calories are in your weight loss zone. Happy Holidays!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •