Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why am I still not getting used to this? page 3

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone. All of your responses are great.

Yes, I'm a student, so I think the reason my diet has been so limited is that I'm restrained by time and money... it's difficult for me to get my hands on an inexpensive grass fed steak, and then cook it, when eggs seem so cheap and easy.

I'm 20 years old, 5'9, female, roughly average weight (130 lbs). I'm also a slowly-recovering sugar addict, so I'm concerned by the fact that I'm still struggling to overcome the urge to eat huge amounts of carbs. I hope hyperinsulinemia isn't my problem...

I will try adding in more meat per all of your suggestions (and will stop being so crazy about the grass-fed/organic thing until a future time when I can really afford these things) and perhaps more veggies. Hopefully I feel better -- I'll write back with my results!

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Hi everyone. All of your responses are great.

Yes, I'm a student, so I think the reason my diet has been so limited is that I'm restrained by time and money... it's difficult for me to get my hands on an inexpensive grass fed steak, and then cook it, when eggs seem so cheap and easy.

I'm 20 years old, 5'9, female, roughly average weight (130 lbs). I'm also a slowly-recovering sugar addict, so I'm concerned by the fact that I'm still struggling to overcome the urge to eat huge amounts of carbs. I hope hyperinsulinemia isn't my problem...

I will try adding in more meat per all of your suggestions (and will stop being so crazy about the grass-fed/organic thing until a future time when I can really afford these things) and perhaps more veggies. Hopefully I feel better -- I'll write back with my results!
    You seem to be at a healthy weight for you height and you are very young, why did you start eating primal?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You seem to be at a healthy weight for you height and you are very young, why did you start eating primal?
    To end my sugar addiction. I used to be able to sit down and eat an entire box of cereal -- the only reason I was not overweight was because I was also a runner. I had to give that up because of a knee injury, and that lifestyle shift forced me to rethink the way I eat as well.

I'm wondering if my perfectionism is becoming the enemy here, though... maybe I would have an easier time weaning myself away from sugar with gradual reductions and calorie-counting...

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Because it is healthy...duh
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Zach is offline Banned
    To end my sugar addiction. I used to be able to sit down and eat an entire box of cereal -- the only reason I was not overweight was because I was also a runner. I had to give that up because of a knee injury, and that lifestyle shift forced me to rethink the way I eat as well.

I'm wondering if my perfectionism is becoming the enemy here, though... maybe I would have an easier time weaning myself away from sugar with gradual reductions and calorie-counting...
    I think you are correct that you overreached when maybe a easier path was available. I doubt running was the only reason you didnt balloon up. You probably have a very healthy metabolism and are young and active enough to blast through the unhealthy stuff. For someone like you, i see no reason at all to try a low carb diet. Just try replacing the worst foods you ate with slightly healthier alternatives and if you see weight creeping up then maybe get a little stricter.

Remember that stress and obsession can be far worse then a few bad food choices.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Because it is healthy...duh
    Exactly. I never began eating this way to lose weight either. Health is about more than just weight, and the earlier you form good habits the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I think you are correct that you overreached when maybe a easier path was available. I doubt running was the only reason you didnt balloon up. You probably have a very healthy metabolism and are young and active enough to blast through the unhealthy stuff. For someone like you, i see no reason at all to try a low carb diet. Just try replacing the worst foods you ate with slightly healthier alternatives and if you see weight creeping up then maybe get a little stricter.

Remember that stress and obsession can be far worse then a few bad food choices.
    That's interesting... I guess I need to think about this. I know that primal is healthy, but perhaps it's too much too soon for me.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Healthy eating is healthy eating....the problem is those who are looking at weight loss look at the low carb side....so many healthy carbs for you to eat that there is no reason to eat crap.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    That's interesting... I guess I need to think about this. I know that primal is healthy, but perhaps it's too much too soon for me.
    Nah. I eat very clean for the most part. Almost 100% primal, engage in fasts, exercise, ect...

And I'm only 26.

There is NO such thing as "too soon" to learn healthy eating habits that can sustain you into the future. Just because you can "maintain your weight" while eating crap doesn't mean that you should be eating that crap. Health is about FAR more than just weight/weightloss. When you realize that, you have achieved something.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What made you think primal meant mostly meat and eggs? Your diet should calorically be heaviest in animal produce but volume should be veggies.

Eating that much meat with so little veg and NO bone broth/gelatin may lead to problems. Each a wide variety of primal friendly food and you'll be fine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast