Thread: Boxing page

primer is offline Member

Boxing

Shop Now
    Hey guys I'm a 17 year old male and new to the primal lifestyle. I've been primal for about almost 2 weeks. Well unfortunately due to a series of circumstances I've ended up binging non primal about 3 times already :|....but I'm better prepared now. So anyways I was wondering if boxing could be incorporated into the primal lifestyle. I used to box intensively but haven't been training much for about a year now. I was thinking about getting back into it.

My goal right now is primarily to lose some fat. I'm at around 14% body fat and want to drop down to 7-8%, so I guess a 10-15 pound drop given that I am about 6'0 and roughly 170 pounds. I was wondering if incorporating boxing into my training regimen would help or hinder my progress? Also, if incorporated how many times a week should I train, assuming I go for 1-2 hours each time.

Furthermore I was wondering if you guys could give me some nutritional advice as to what would be best to help me drop fat the fastest. Right now, after playing around with the numbers quite a bit, I am considering about 140g of protein from meat (usually chicken and fish). I love to have coconut milk but I always put a small handful of berries and almonds in it (2-3 times a day). I am estimating if I have a salad as well my carbs would be in the 50-80g range. Of course I would eat as much fat as I wanted so that I am full, but obviously not over do it (some fat from meat, mainly from coconut milk).

So yea, there you have it. Sorry for the long post but I would really appreciate your views on this. Oh btw! Even though I've cheated quite a bit already I've had one awesome benefit of going primal: My acne is almost completely gone! I still have the odd pimple but I've been struggling with acne for the last 2+ years and 2 weeks into the PB and its almost completely cleared up.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    You shouldn't be in the mindset of "I need to lose this weight as fast as possible". Take your time...

Also keeping a 7%bf is extremely difficult... 10-12% is more realistic. (you probably are a lot higher than your "guess" although 6'0 170 is extremely light imo). Being young, you should hit the iron and eat like an animal. (unless you're going to compete at a certian weight class).

Since you'll be doing a lot of conditioning drills, I'd consider boxing a "sprint" routine.

i'd hit the iron 2-3x a week and box 2x a week... with 2 days for recovery (off, yoga, walks, whatever)

primer is offline Member
    Sweet! Well the thing is I'm going on vacation in 10 weeks and I'd just like it if I could have a nice set of abs by then...but I definitely get what your saying. Oh and yea I don't have much muscle. I'm not a complete weakling but yes I would like to add some muscle, although being a fat kid my entire life (I lost all the excessive weight a year ago) I just wanna be ripped for once. So boxing for 1-2 hours, 1-2x a week should be okay along with weights 2x a week?

Yep. 2 boxing, 2 strength training and 3 days for whatever is perfect (be "active" on those off days though... just don't sit around)

Crash dieting to have abs for vacation is a bad idea. How about start building a chest to stick out or some beefy legs for next years vacation. I think chicks like that better than a scrawny guy with abs...

primer is offline Member
    hahaha...aright then. Its actually so weird thinking of myself as scrawny (even though I look like I'm pretty skinny) because I was fairly fat for most of my life. I laugh everytime someone calls me skinny because I'm still used to thinking of myself as really heavy. But yea that sounds like a program I could stick to, fun as well. I'll just try and do that, play some light sports or go for long walks on the off days, and stick with the primal nutrition in terms of tons of meat and fat and just sticking with fruits and veggies for carbs. Thanks a lot for the help!

You'll be surprised at the progress you can make in 10 weeks of a good strength program if you're starting from scratch... just train hard and stick to the nutrition.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    You're 170 at six feet tall and you want to lose 15 pounds?! Sheesh, I could probably knock you down with one decent punch!

I'd focus on eating well and *gaining* muscle.

Jamie is offline Junior Member
    [QUOTE=dragonmamma;96500]You're 170 at six feet tall and you want to lose 15 pounds?! Sheesh, I could probably knock you down with one decent punch!

Joe Calzaghe 6 foot tall weighed 168 pounds and was undefeated. Celestino Caballero 6 foot tall 126 pounds. World class athletes.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    You're 170 at six feet tall and you want to lose 15 pounds?! Sheesh, I could probably knock you down with one decent punch!
    Joe Calzaghe 6 foot tall weighed 168 pounds and was undefeated. Celestino Caballero 6 foot tall 126 pounds. World class athletes.
    No doubt, but that's also why weight classes were created. The world at large doesn't care so much. Not to bring "sport vs TEH STr33t" into the conversation.
    Last edited by blank_faceplate; 08-05-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: fixing tags

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to try boxing at some point soon, can't wait. I don't think 6'0" 170 is a stringbean, if your BF is low that's just long and lean. I'm 6'1" and I figure my perfect weight is 180. Depends on your bone structure / body type. Steve Nash is 180, he's not such a wuss.
    Attached Images Attached Images