Thread: New to the Primal Blueprint page

Ash877 is offline Member

New to the Primal Blueprint

Primal Fuel
    I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.

I've done low carb diets in the past(Atkins) So I am not new to the idea of eating fats and proteins. Also, as I have a fairly active lifestyle, and a decent weight and body fat%. I mostly stayed away from anything prepackaged(cost prohibitive) and found when I did eat something that was supposed to be low carb, but processed, it would trigger the same effects as when I ate sugar.

Even on Atkins, I found I had to up my carb intake fairly quickly. If I had to guess I would say I easily maintain my weight around 100-150 carbs.

I fell off the low carb diet when I continued to lose weight effortlessly. I made the mistake of adding grains mostly, and some sugars in. I have had a long struggle with soda, which I had switched to diet soda when I started low carb.

What brought me here, was I was eating huge amounts of food, and drinking far too much caffeine(mostly diet soda) and I felt like hell. I was having huge mood swings, and things that normally didn't bother me were a huge deal. I also was still losing weight, but it definitely wasn't worth it, as I felt like the rest of my body was suffering. Besides the mood swings, I was having a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep. I am sure this didn't help my mood either.

I bought the book on Thursday, after reading around here a bit. I also read up a lot on aspartame, and decided that even though I was exhausted all the time, the diet soda was doing nothing good for me. I was drawn to this approach, as it was more a lifestyle than a diet. I like that it seems to encompass everything, not just eating.

As of Wednesday morning, I am 100% off soda(I also cut coffee out, at least for now) I am slowly reading the book, and understanding more. I started low carb on Wed, but I have added several fruits, and nuts to my diet. I even tried adding some bacon grease to my eggs, it was pretty tasty.

My husband has also joined me on this quest, and we are working on changing the kids diets also. Hubby is the only one with any real weight to lose. The older two kids are on the thin side, and my youngest is a little chubby(he just turned 4) Currently we are focusing on keeping the things they like in the house.(Avocados, broccoli, bacon, pork chops, carrots, bananas, tomatoes to name a few)

I am already starting to see changes in my own body. I am feeling much more mellow again, and I am sleeping better.

I have always had bad teeth, and I am sure cutting out the soda will help. Is there something that I am lacking that would help with this?

I am looking forward to learning more, and being more proactive about my entire family's health.

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I'm not sure about the teeth thing, but I'm sure there's some helpful information about dental health somewhere around the forums!

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    When you start craving the soda and feel like caving go get some lemon/lime flavored Perrier or San Pellegrino. With me, at least, it was the carbonation I actually wanted!

Plus you'll feel all snooty drinking "fancy water."

Ash877 is offline Member
    I have been looking into it a bit. I also found a store right across from my house(less than a mile) that sells

Organic fruits and vegetables; wild Alaska Salmon and other wild seafood; grass fed beef that is antibiotic free, hormone free, and pesticide free; grassfed raw milk and raw dairy products; healthy oils including cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, hazelnut oil, sunflower oil, sesame oil, and Udo’s Choice perfected oil blend; free range, pasture fed poultry, including turkey and chicken; pasture-fed, free range eggs; raw nuts – almonds, hazelnuts (filberts), pecans, etc. and seeds, and gourmet nitrate free and preservative free jerky like wild salmon jerky, turkey jerky, beef jerky; seaweed, kelp and sea vegetables, and natural wholesome sweeteners such as raw unfiltered, unprocessed honey; RealSalt, and Redmond Clay.

I don't even know where to start on that list. I am going to slowly venture into all of this. What are the top 3-5 items from that list that you would recommend adding? I plan on going there later today just to look around, and try to take it all in.

I have also read a lot of good things about coconut oil, and think that may be one of the first things I try.

Ash877 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasue624 View Post
    When you start craving the soda and feel like caving go get some lemon/lime flavored Perrier or San Pellegrino. With me, at least, it was the carbonation I actually wanted!

Plus you'll feel all snooty drinking "fancy water."
    So far, I haven't craved soda yet, which really surprised me. It has been nearly a week now, and I haven't had any coffee or soda. I'm actually really starting to enjoy the taste of water. I will keep this in mind should a craving strike though

Ash877 is offline Member
    I thought I would add a little more information about me currently, after looking around

Your location: Utah

Age (If you want): Female 35

How Primal are you: Slowly working into learning more about organic, made my first purchase of organic coconut oil.(Never used coconut oil before in my life, but love coconut) Cut out all flour, sugar(still eating fruits), and soda.

Do you consume dairy: Have eaten cottage cheese(highest fat I can find), half and half(only a little) lots of butter, and lots of eggs.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Currently am only drinking water, and occasionally a little half and half(1 or 2 oz)

Motivator for switching to Primal: I was low carb for a long time, but when I added wheat and sugar back into my diet(processed) I wasn't reacting well to it. It felt like my body was trying to purge it, and my moods were very high and low, and I wasn't sleeping well.

Favorite exercise: I have a very active job(lots of lifting, and walking) Looking to add other things in right now.

Current weight 128 Height 5'7". Body fat 21%

Not looking to lose any weight necessarily just wanting to feel better. Looking to find my ideal body fat %. I feel that I could be around 15-17% and still be very healthy. Just since starting, I have noticed my stomach feels much tighter and looks smaller. I figured after having 3 kids, it would just be that way, maybe not.

I have been sleeping much better, and already have a lot more energy. Even after a full week at work, which usually leaves me exhausted, I felt like I had energy to burn.