Thread: Is going Primal making my bladder mad? page

SouthernPrimal is offline Junior Member

Cool Is going Primal making my bladder mad?

Shop Now
    Warning this may contain TMI! Anyway, I have been Primal for almost a month and for the past 3 days I am urinating frequently and it burns (sorry!). So, I went to the doc (urgent care) because I believed I was getting an UTI. The test came back fine, but the NP said my ketones were very high and that I should drink more water.

I have probably been in ketosis maybe 4 or 5 times since I started. So, is this my body adjusting to going Primal and flushing out all the bad stuff and will this finally go away?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPrimal View Post
    The test came back fine, but the NP said my ketones were very high and that I should drink more water.
    I'd do that then. But if it were me I think I'd also want to ask what the figure was. "Very high" is pretty vague considering that there must have been a quantifiable reading.

I have probably been in ketosis maybe 4 or 5 times since I started. So, is this my body adjusting to going Primal and flushing out all the bad stuff and will this finally go away?
    If your intake of carbohydrate is very low, then your kidneys will dump both water and sodium. It's a known phenomenon -- see here:

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

Maybe that's what's going on -- or part of it. Why it burns I don't know. What did the doctor say?

As well as drinking more water, I'd watch those electrolytes (i.e. salt your food moderately -- and perhaps take a little magnesium (and possibly potassium), too ). Also, unless you've a specific reason to eat very low carb you could allow yourself a little more in that direction. Here are Mark's suggestions of the diffrent levels for different people with varying requirements:

How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple

SouthernPrimal is offline Junior Member
    This was convenient care, so they never go into great detail. The NP's answer was to drink more water or come back for some meds. If it gets any worse, I will go see my regular doc. Well, I do have a lot of weight to lose, so I am trying to keep my carbs around the fat burning level. Hopefully it is my body adjusting and it will go away soon!