Thread: This is not my first Rodeo. Glad to be back! page

Emmelle is offline Member

Red face This is not my first Rodeo. Glad to be back!

Shop Now
    I've had Mark's Daily Apple in my "favorites" for a couple years. I've started Paleo/Primal many times only to eventually fall by the wayside and back into SAD eating. There were some things I needed to learn (and believe) before I could truly embrace Primal eating. 1) Fat is my friend. 2) Wheat was killing me.

I lost 40 lbs last year following an intermittent fasting regimen. Sounds like a lot but I'm still 50lbs from goal and could no longer sustain the every other day fast. I was hungry all the time, even when I knew I couldn't possibly be hungry. Over the course of this year I re-gained 18lbs, basically doing nothing.

Eight or nine weeks ago I stopped eating wheat. Period. I believe fully that I am a wheat addict and also am allergic to it. I went through withdrawal. I was teary and unhappy and restless and depressed. I searched the internet for wheat replacements, blogs on how to make almond "bread", coconut drop biscuits, flax seed pizza crust. I even made some of these these things. They were not it. I ate corn torillas, rice crackers, any grain but wheat. Magically after 5 or 6 weeks I realized I didn't care anymore. In fact, I didn't care about the other grains either. This is an amazing realization for me. I don't have to eat grains to be happy. When I lost the wheat, I lost the cravings. All of them. Can I live without white potatoes? Why yes, yes I can! Can I live without the bloat? You bet!

A few weeks ago I came across a thread on Nutritional Ketosis. I started following that WOE, and logging my calories, carbs, and fats. It wasn't difficult, I could actually do this. I lost three pounds the first week. Since I had already been following a standard low carb diet I didn't get induction "flu" or wheat withdrawals. I feel really good. I upped my fat intake. lowered my carbs and got in at least my minimum protein requirements. I put butter and coconut oil in my coffee. My appetite diminished. I'm no longer starving all the time. I downloaded Mark's 21 Day Transformation to my NOOK. What a great book! I don't know if I can live in nutritional ketosis forever but it's compatible with Primal. I need a good WOE that will allow me to continue to lose weight and feel great.

I'm still a little nervous about the fat, but I've seen how it helps me to feel full and content. I hope to learn more here about primal living. So I'm back, and this time...I'm a believer... and I'm stayin'.
    Last edited by Emmelle; 12-10-2012 at 08:16 AM.