Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrible Hangovers After Going Primal page

moonpie is offline Junior Member

Terrible Hangovers After Going Primal

Primal Fuel
    Hello, all. I've been following a primal diet for 3 or 4 weeks now and absolutely love it! One thing, however, is now I get terrible headaches from even a small quantity of booze. 2 drinks is all it takes for me to feel terrible the next day This has happened on a number of occasions and I have decided to go back to the SAD diet so I can go back to drinking...Just kidding I have basically been forced to stop drinking, which isn't terrible, but damn, I sure would like to be able to have some nice wine or a good craft beer again.

Any suggestions? I don't drink cheap booze, and nothing else has changed...

Owly is offline Senior Member
    So just have one. I have very little alcohol tolerance (and that's only gotten worse with primal), and I've simply accepted that I can have one drink generally, maybe two over the course of a longer evening. I've traded quantity for quality.

A lot of people find their alcohol tolerance goes down on primal, so you're not alone.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    I used to be able to drink 10 pints of beer/cider/Guinness and I was fine, but now only a few knock me out. I guess it's my body telling me this stuff is really toxic so I'm quite happy only indulging occasionally. It's worth it!

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    What's your fluid intake like now compared to before, hangovers are generally largely dehydration symptoms.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    I'm a pretty active college student who parties after things like finals, and I always had a pretty reasonable tolerance to booze, but since going primal it takes me exactly 4 drinks to have a good time. More than that and I start falling down. Lesson is, don't drink that stuff, but of course I still do.

I would try to make sure you have a good meal in you first, and to drink a glass of water after each glass of wine/beer. It might help, and if it doesn't, maybe you should listen to your body.

ezk
    ezk is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie View Post
    Hello, all. I've been following a primal diet for 3 or 4 weeks now and absolutely love it! One thing, however, is now I get terrible headaches from even a small quantity of booze. 2 drinks is all it takes for me to feel terrible the next day This has happened on a number of occasions and I have decided to go back to the SAD diet so I can go back to drinking...Just kidding I have basically been forced to stop drinking, which isn't terrible, but damn, I sure would like to be able to have some nice wine or a good craft beer again.

Any suggestions? I don't drink cheap booze, and nothing else has changed...
    Alcohol contains sugars. your metabolism always use the sugar as a first source of energy.
    So when you drink the alcohol is used as a fuel, which is a bit painful as you have remarked.
    Have some carbs beforehand, potatoes or whatever you decide is good for you( i eat some bread, yeah, i know..)
    and you will not have a problem. It works for me.

ezk
    ezk is offline Member
    Oh, and the excessive water drinking seem to make for worst for me for some reasons.
    I don't get headaches actually, i get migraines which is the grandmother of pain..

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I think it's because your "normal" feeling is so much better. I used to wake up feeling like death no matter if I drank or not.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Kelmar is offline Senior Member
    I have this experience as well, if I drink more than 2 drinks it takes me most of the next day to recover, it definatley makes one reconsider drinking...gosh darn it, lol.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I can't immediately find it, but I'm pretty sure I remember Mark positing the hypothesis that glycogen depletion makes the effects of alcohol more pronounced, and suggesting that you incorporate some carbohydrates the day of, as suggested by others above.

I've also been taking B1, NAC, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and Milk Thistle with every or every other drink on the rare occasion I'm having more than 1 or 2. A few activated charcoals before bed on top of all that seems to minimize the pain.

I think it's also partly what tfarny said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast